Bought a boat - it broke

malfar

Seaman Apprentice
Kinda the flip side of a well visited thread - I bought a 7 year old low hour (45hours) boat off this site. Mint shape - leg still had the paper bar codes stuck on it. On pre-purchase test - ran fine WOT, idled rough, oil clean and clear. Owner atributed idle to fact boat had last been fueled over a year ago. Got it home replaced gas, still idled rough on the muffs. Pulled plugs - one had water on it. Hose was still on the muffs, but with no internal pressure put 2 qts water in the pan real quick. Cost to repair $2200 for new manifold, valve job, etc. and I haven't even had the boat in the water. Contacted the seller and we agreed to split the cost - because it was the right thing to do. If he had known he would have got a whole lot less for the boat or would have had to fork out the whole $2200. On the other hand I was not expecting to have to pay that chunk of money out after purchasing the boat, but when I buy something used I realize there are always small things to fix. Guess he could have adopted the appraoch that seems to be the theme of another thread - buyer beware! Particularly with him in the US and me in Canada. I couldn't/wouldn't stick somebody like that, nor do I want that done to me - it's an integrity issue. At the end of it both he and I were satisfied with the deal.

But there are lot of folks on this forum that I'm glad I didn't buy a boat from.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bought a boat - it broke

compression test might have shown that. glad you got it settled though.

gss036

Commander

If you had done your homework prior to purchase you would have know what to look for. 7 years is about life expectancy of manifolds in an I/O. I have several friends and that is about what they got. One friend just spent some big bucks and installed stainless manifolds, but he no intentions of getting rid of his boat.
Happy to hear it worked out for you.

country_bumpkin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gotta put my two cents in .........

Major differences here.

The boat you bought wasn't running great to begin with.

Put yourself in my shoes. The boat I was proud of, that my family enjoyed, that ran great for the last 2 years .........

$#@!# never mind.......

oops!

Supreme Mariner

$#@!# never mind.......[/QUOTE]

thats funny CB.

to any one about to buy a used boat. the importance of getting a reliable company to check it out is getting to be painfully clear.

i never would have had my boat checked by a mechanic before or even a (gasp) marine surveyor!
are you kidding, ME?? no way,

After all ive read on this site, i wont buy a boat without bolth mechanical and marine from now on!

best of luck
oops

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

If you had done your homework prior to purchase you would have know what to look for. 7 years is about life expectancy of manifolds in an I/O. I have several friends and that is about what they got. One friend just spent some big bucks and installed stainless manifolds, but he no intentions of getting rid of his boat.
Happy to hear it worked out for you.

I would like to ask for clarification here. I'm assuming a I/O stands for Inboard/ Outboard. What is the difference between that and a Sterndrive?

I have a 34 year old Sterndrive with the original manifold (there really is only one) And it's just fine. I did a valve job to it last summer and had it checked. Why would they last only 7 years? Oh, and why did the boat with the bad manifold require a valve job? Sounds like a unrelated problem.

Thanks

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would like to ask for clarification here. I'm assuming a I/O stands for Inboard/ Outboard. What is the difference between that and a Sterndrive?

Thanks

The words
I/O= inboard engine / outboard drive

Sterndrive= drive mounted to the stern.

GeneH

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would consider an I/O and a stern drive to be the same set-up.

Hoss

Cadet

an outboard drive is attached to the stern.
meaning I/O = sterndrive

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

I would consider an I/O and a stern drive to be the same set-up.

Hi, I see your a cadet too.
Maybe what there trying to tell us is that a I/O boat is one of those where the engine sets in the middle of the boat and there is a driveshaft connecting it to the drive on the back of the boat. And, maybe a Sterndrive is where the engine is bolted to the drive system directly at the back of the boat. Maybe that is maybe the difference,,, maybe. :confused: :rolleyes: :p

dmcb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Your manifolds lasted so long because you are in fresh water. Right?
I have seen them last 40 years and more and still be good.
In fresh water.
Doug

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The words
I/O= inboard engine / outboard drive

Sterndrive= drive mounted to the stern.

Sorry, shoulda wrote....

The words are the only difference, generally speaking.

gss036

Commander

Inboard is when the engine is mounted, mid boat, and propells the boat through a transmission of some sort to the prop, usually under the stern, not attached to the stern. Most "Large" boats have inboards.
I/O, just described above.
Then there is the standard outboard.
I was referring to manifolds used in Salter water, even w/fresh water cooling.
I tend to forget that a good number of our members are in fresh water, then you don't have the corrision problems we encounter w/salt.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Inboard is when the engine is mounted, mid boat, and propells the boat through a transmission of some sort to the prop, usually under the stern,

Also sometimes the engine is reversed (front to back) and are located aft with V-drives located midship (there abouts).:)

This could get complicated :D