OMC VS Sierra

richoj

Cadet
I usually change my outboard water pumps myself and have always bought OMC kits. I notice that Sierra also offers these kits at a lower price.

Although I don't want to sacrifice quality, does anyone use Sierra parts and do you have an opinion on them vs OMC parts ?

iwombat

Captain
Re: OMC VS Sierra

I mostly use the sierra. No problems so far.

wbeaton

Commander

I've used both with no problems, however, I have heard tells of faulty Sierra impellers. The only problem I ever encountered with Sierra was when they sent me the wrong impeller. It had the right number on the package, but the wrong product inside.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i went thru 2 sierra's, with in a week, then went omc.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I agree, the extra couple bucks is not worth my time in some cases to do a job twice, even if it is only 1 out of 100 times that it happens, I prefer OMC parts.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sierra doesn't make most of the stuff they sell. (Few companies do). The point is that the vendor that they buy coils from may be top notch, but the vendor that they buy points from may be stinko. Just mentioning these two parts for no particular reason/example. Where Sierra seems to fall on their face is in quality control and inspection of incoming shipments.

whywhyzed

Banned

agree- sometimes the suppliers have two bins - 1 for the product that meets quality control inspection.... those go to the OEM. The parts that are on the low side of the spec go to the aftermarket bin.

With either source - check to make sure the brass insert is properly bonded into the elastomer. One of our members had fun troubleshooting that on an OMC sterndrive overheat- new impeller spinning on the insert.