OK to run Yamaha 200hpdi w/out rectifier?

TonyNoriega

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It seems that the rectifier/regulator is not functioning on my 2110 200hpdi....the reading across the starting batt at all rpm's never goes above 12 volts. Anyway, I can get through a day of fishing with one fully charged battery, and a couple times I had to switch to the backup battery. My question is....is it ok to run it this way (w/out the rect/reg working) or is there the potential to cause harm in any way?

Thanks!

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: OK to run Yamaha 200hpdi w/out rectifier?

You are dropping the voltage and adversly affecting performance and efficency. Not a good idea.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

why not ray? In my opinion you are not going to tear anything up. If you want to just charge batteries then do it. I would not do it but there is not going to be anything wrong with it. As long as you have enough batteries to keep you going i dont think its a problem. Like i said though, I would not do it. Its a pretty inexpensive fix and pretty easy as well.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

You will find that low voltage will adversly affect performance since the amperage increase draw by electronic parts will sometimes cause parts failure. It will also cause changes in the control voltages for items such as pumps and sensors.
The electrical parts are designed to operate at a cetain wattage. As the voltage drops, the amperage draw must increase to produce the same wattage. This will increase the heat produced in the component.
Put your hand on a starter when trying to start a motor on a low battery as an example. This heat can cause the failure of the component or even cause poor connections when the solder starts to go away.

tommays

Admiral

In a general way LOW voltage is going to affect the systems abilty to keep the correct fuel presure WHICH will result in a LEAN condition :eek: which would be BAD ;)

Tommays

TonyNoriega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your advice gentlemen!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

that Z200 uses a 750 PSI fuel rail. so they stepped up the injector operating voltage to 85Vp. with a bad battery or low operating voltage fouled plugs and possible lean running is likly.
best I recall that motor draws 9 amps just to idle.
best just to verify the issue and fix it.
the driver is about $1200 as is the ECU and both can be damaged by undervoltage.

TonyNoriega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update: I wired a multimeter to my starting battery and kept it visable on the top of the console during my entire fishing trip two days ago.....turns out that the motor is generating and relaying voltage back to the battery just fine (when running at 4 to 5k rpm I'm getting up to 13v). So....I started flipping accessory switches and I get a big voltage drop with the livewell pump running. So much that the outboard can't keep up with it's draw, even at high rpms. Today I changed out the pump and, weather permitting I'll be on the water tomorrow to test it and see if the problem is fixed. I'll report back.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!