Rough textured paint?

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everybody I want to paint the bottom of my boat. Since I'll be putting away for the winter I think its a good time to do it. Question I have is what kind of paint is it? do i just paint over it? or do i sand it down completely than paint it? Its a 2001 aquasport 205 osprey 20ft. The guy I bought it from said thats the way he bought. Does it come from factory like that? Any suggestions will be helpful. Thank You.
What paint should I use? I use it in slatwater only about once a week when spring hits. And I'll be dry docking it

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rough textured paint?

You don't want rough textured paint on your hull. Anything but a smooth, slick finish is totally out of the question.

Your boat's hull to water friction is what requires the horsepower from your engine. If it weren't for that you could drive a 20' boat with 5 hp sort of thing. How much hp is required in your car when you take your foot off the gas and shift into N. Not much. Try that in a boat. Immediately you start sinking and slowing.

I saw a chart once on the effect of marine growth (slime in this case). The test only went for 4 weeks. The results were unbelieveable. I don't remember the numbers, but even after the 1st week boat speed dropped dramatically.

HTH

Mark

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Rough textured paint?

Thanks Tex,
What should I do than? Should I sand it down? How should I go about it?