Where'd that come from...

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class
I winterized my boat last night and ran across one puzzle. It's an '88 Merc 3.0/Alpha 1. New bellows, gimbal & seals the first of this year. When I pulled the lower unit there was maybe half a cup of water that ran out of the gimbal bellows. Bearing looks fine, grease in the bearing looks clean. No water or milky oil when I drained the lower unit.

Any suggestions before I tear everything up trying to find a leak?

whywhyzed

Banned
Re: Where'd that come from...

Did you once launch your boat and forget the plug?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Do you trailer?......
Is it possible that the large oring was not seated properly?.....
It would allow it to fill while in the water & drain when out....
Just a thought.....
The previous suggestion holds merit as well....;)
I'd still give the bellows a thorough look......
You can pull the hingepins & pull the bell housing out to open it up without undoing the shift cable.......:)

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the quick replies and suggestions.

Nope, never forgot the plug. Haven't done that one yet in 20 years of boating, but am anticipating the opportunity... lol

Yes, I do trailer the boat 50-100 miles each way just about every weekend during the summers.

The big o-ring, small o-ring on the water pickup, and seal were replaced when doing the bellows. That is a possibility though. I'll look closer at it and the bellows when I check it more thoroughly.

The hinge pins won't come loose. That really made doing especially the exhaust bellows something I don't want to have to experience again anytime soon...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Either the big oring (Between drive and pivot housing) is out of place or cut or the bellows has a hole or isn't installed properly.
Forgetting the plug would mean that the water got into the bellows thru the input shaft and gimbal bearing. Would also mean the water was way over the starter.

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for replying too Don. Now that I think about it, the last several outings after a weekend in the water there was maybe half a gallon of water in the bilge that drained when I pulled the plug. I figured it was swimmers and skiers getting in and out.

If you wouldn't mind answering a couple of questions for me I would really appreciate it.

First, I had fits getting the exhaust bellows to stay on. One of you guys recommended not using the glue which is when I finally got it to hold. I did use the glue on the gimbal bellows which makes me wonder. It doesn't look like it slipped, but could it just not be sealing properly and seeping. Is it possible to pull the gimbal bellows loose and refit it without taking the exhaust off?

Second, I read in another thread about someone with a newer 3.0/alpha 1 with a water cooler on the power steering. I don't remember seeing anything like that on mine even though I do have power steering. Since mine is an '88 would it have a water cooler on the power steering?

Thanks again to everyone for replying. My wife tells me I'm addicted to iboats, but then admits that the information I have gotten here has been well worth it. :)

imported_TheMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 89 3.0 alpha 1 had a power steering cooler, so I don't think its just newer models. I'm not sure if you know what you are looking for, but it is a black plastic cylinder with two water hoses (in/out) and two P/S hoses (in/out). It will be the first thing in line (at least on mine) with your water intake inside of the hull.

Although I've never really checked to see how hot the power steering fluid can get, I can't imagine it would be critical enough to absolutely require a cooler...

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, My cooler was located near my transom.....It was easier for me to follow the lines from the power steering reservoir back and thats how I found mine...

I have a 97 3.0 but I cant imagine to much difference.
Here is a pic of my cooler, its maybe 6" long or so.

Attachments

• DSC00240-1.JPG
    DSC00240-1.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 0

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update: I finally found the PS cooler. It's mounted vertically on the back of the engine on mine. Pain to find, but was able to make sure its drained.

Thanks again for the responses and help.

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

mounted vertical sounds like it would drain itself, only other worry would water in the line up to the Tstat which is easy to get out of..

Wish mine was mounted like that.

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup, I blew air through it, ran a bit of antifreeze and sure enough, it had drained itself. :) I love my boat.