Lake Champlain - NY/VT

Andy in NY

Commander
anyone around here boating on Lake Champlain? we are new boaters from Chateaugay, NY and mostly plan to go to Chateaugay Lake, but occasionally would like to hit champlain. i am a bit worried though, as we are in a 14 footer... not sure how well it will handle it out there.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lake Champlain - NY/VT

Good weather? No sweat! Bad weather? You will be saying your prayers. I did it years ago in a 15 footer. Went up into Canada and took the Chambly Canal just past St. Jean to the Richelieu river to Sorel to St. Lawrence Seaway to Montreal. Great ride --very picturesque. Recommend it heartily on a good weather weekend.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Champlian has it all. I am there alot and the Northern portion is beautiful but it can get real bad quick. In a 14 footer it would be wise to stay closer to shore and know where to get fuel. In the wide points of the lake it can get very lonely if you break down and the weather can be mean.

The lower portion of the lake below the bridge is cloudy water and nice large mouths..... small mouths above the bridge in clear water.

Oh yeah..... if you go to Champlain ALWAYS watch for Champ!:D

Andy in NY

Commander

Champlian has it all. I am there alot and the Northern portion is beautiful but it can get real bad quick. In a 14 footer it would be wise to stay closer to shore and know where to get fuel. In the wide points of the lake it can get very lonely if you break down and the weather can be mean.

The lower portion of the lake below the bridge is cloudy water and nice large mouths..... small mouths above the bridge in clear water.

Oh yeah..... if you go to Champlain ALWAYS watch for Champ!:D

which bridge?

we would be launching from plattsburgh or rouses point and would like to st some point take a day trip to burlington's waterfront... doable on a good weather weekend?

Expidia

Commander

I've done a lot of boating on Champlain. From a 33 foot Sea Ray cabin cruiser, A 17 foot Brig inflatible with 115 Honda, 70 mph jet skis and a canoe with a 5 hp honda on it. I only have a 14' 9" boat now but it's brand new and very reliable.

I even invested in an enclosure for this boat because on Champlain when the wind kicks up and you have to head in a direction that causes the waves to hit you sideways or even at a 45 degree angle you and your Family are sure to get soaked the whole way back to your launch area.

We've endured waves that started out as 1 foot swells and quickly turned into 4-5 foot seas all too many times and it's always on the way back after we've crossed to Burlington. I'd be launching on the VT side when you want to hit the public docks at Burlington.

I wouldn't put you or your family at risk wandering off too far from the various launch areas on Champlain. If you a planning to use that 24 year old motor I think you're taking a real chance on Champlain anyway.

It can turn into ocean like conditions in heart beat and you won't see it coming because the East and West sides of Champlain are surrounded by high mountains.

Champlain has many free NYS state launches from Whitehall (Southern part) and up through the Northern parts. One nice area with a free launch is Willsboro Bay. Nice part of this bay is that it's huge and if Champlain is kicking up you can stay in the bay. Not a far ride to the Four Brothers Islands as you come out of Willsboro Bay they are just South. Cool place. Great place to get out of the rough waters and winds. It's a bird sanctuary. Ton's of birds on each Island.

Peru is another nice launch area because right in front of it is Valcor Island which is also huge. If it's windy, all you have to do is circle until you get to one of it's many bays until you find one out of the wind.

We pick a different launch area with each outing using the State locations on different days so we can explore different areas of the lake without getting stuck on the wrong side of the lake when the inevitable storm or high winds kick up. The problem with Champlain as well as the Hudson River is they both run North to South which is the way the wind blows on most days.

Port Douglas has a NYS launch. Is directly across from Burlington (10 miles) and the bay is sheltered by Schuyler Island in the middle which gives this bay a safe haven when the waters rough. It's just North of Willsboro Bay.

Tips:
Buy a copy of "Cruising Guide to the Hudson River, Lake Champlain & the St Lawrence River". This wire bound book will be a great read for you over the winter to familiarize yourself with Champlain. Keep it on board at all times too. Shows gas docks, ports and bays for safe havens. Phone numbers of marina's and restaurants too. Has a history of EACH port too. Sells for $34.95 but Amazon.com sells it with free shipping for $25. Latest reprint is 2006.

Before you venture onto Champlain invest in an on board VHF radio (about $100 plus an antenna). Not a portable one because they only go 2 miles and that's useless on Champlain.

Invest in a combo GPS/Depth finder. Be sure to set a way point EACH time you leave a launch. If it mists or fogs over you will get lost very quickly and a compass will not help you from running aground and a map is tough to read in the wind, dark or rain and drive at the same time on a small boat.
Always keep a spare plastic 2-3 gal gas can onboard. One emergency call to have an emergency boat bring you gas might cost you $75-100. This spare gas can could pay for your radio by never having to make a call for gas. Or getting to a gas dock near empty and it's closed or out of gas.

With the age of your motor I'd invest in a used later model 9.9 kicker. You can use it for trolling too, but it could be a lifesaver if your motor conks out.
Take a boating course with your Spouse or other over the winter.

We trailer around to many lakes and rivers but none are even close to how beautiful Champlain is but you need to have great respect for it when boating on it.

Good luck.

Last edited:

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Watch out for Champ ;).

P.S. The monster lol.

88sundowner

Cadet

I'm chiming in a little late in this thread but i live right in Rouses Point and put in at the village launch right next to lighthouse marina. I just started boating at the end of last year but i've been riding PWC's on the lake for years. I've also riden with a lot of my friends on their boats. a 14footer is dooable...if you put in in RP you can go over to BAB wich is a beatiful sandy spot to hang out and do lunch or just mess around in the water....another place is to go under the islamont(not sure on the spelling) bridge and go over to Palmers beach...just go under the bridge and follow the shoreline to the east (not too close because it does get shallow) and you'll run into palmers beach...there is also Saint Annes Shrine over on Islamont...lets see...if you put in down by plattsburgh there is Point Au Rouche state park....now about going to burlington...you would want a perfect, no wind day...its quite a trip and i know it can get quite rough in the 20+ foot boats i've been in.

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great spot.
Enjoy

Last edited:

ricksrster

Commander

champ.gif

88sundowner

Cadet

there was a show on discovery about champy....my gf says she's seen him, she wont go swimming in certain parts of the lake because of it lol

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have never heard of Champ having an acquired taste for people eating! Your GF should not worry. :D

zach103

Commander

Try lake george. my family goes there every summer for 50 yrs. been brining a boat up for the last 10.. its really nice. its a big lake. and great for any size boat. esp your 14ft. i used my 17ft. no problems at all and we had a small dock space

Andy in NY

Commander

Try lake george. my family goes there every summer for 50 yrs. been brining a boat up for the last 10.. its really nice. its a big lake. and great for any size boat. esp your 14ft. i used my 17ft. no problems at all and we had a small dock space
We've talked about Lake George before, but at 2 1/2 hours from here we need a better tow vehicle first...

right now I am towing with my s-10, and i can't fit my family of 5 in it! So, cruising the 8 miles to Chateaugay Lake with 2 seperate vehicles is no big deal...