Optimax vs 4 Strokes

cloumar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Need your thoughts,

For fuel consumption for the same model of boat which will be best - the 115 Optimax or 115 - 4 strokes EFI ?

Thanks

Mario

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Optimax vs 4 Strokes

Here is a link to what has become a very long thread but it deals with fuel economy on four different two-stroke and four stroke motors on the same identical boat. While this study was done with 75 HP motors, you might expect very similar results on bigger engines.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=219751&highlight=fuel+economy+study

At wide open throttle there is very close to zero difference. In fact there is very close to zero difference between 4 stroke carbed, 4 stroke EFI, two stroke carbed and two stroke EFI at wide open throttle. Why? Because it takes so much fuel to make so much horsepower. Any outboard will burn about 10% of its rated HP at WOT. 115 HP = 11.5 g/hr. At low speed and midrange rpm the 4-stroke might have a slight advantage in the "miles per gallon" category. The big BUT here (no pun intended) is that at any given rpm the two stroke will likely be pushing the boat faster than the four stroke. So even though the Opti is using slightly more fuel in the g/hr category, it takes less time to get where you are going so fuel economy is a push. If time to destination is not important to you, then a four stroke wins -- but not by much.

gss036

Commander
Re: Optimax vs 4 Strokes

Just my personal preference, if I were considering chage I would look the E-Tec for 2 stroke or the Yamaha for 4 stroke.
While the Opti's may be good engines, they are just too complicated with the orbital injection.
If you must stick with Mercury, then take a look at the 4cylinder Verado. I think with low of horsepower, they eliminated the blower on them.