Vertical or horizontal?

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everybody I'm a new boat owner 2 months now and I love this site. Hope you guys dont mind me asking a question or 2.

I've just winterized my merc 150 outboard . And getting the rest of the boat ready for these cold NJ winter days. Question I have is in what position do I leave the motor? The motor is covered along with the boat. Do I bring it up horizontal or down vertical? And why? I've searched this topic and I read both. Who is right?
Thank you guys!

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Vertical or horizontal?

I would leave it all the way down so water from rain and snow can drain. If it does not drain then when it freezes up can crack the houseing.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

ALWAYS leave the drive (so the bellows) in the down and straight ahead......
(EDIT..whoops...why the hell was I thinking its an outdrive?..I GOT a big old Merc..Getting old?)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

bow high, motor, down and straight.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Motor down and straight like others say and raise the nose as much as you can and keep the engine off the ground.

Andy in NY

Commander

i was JUST thinking about the same question! my back garage doesnt have a door, and isnt very deep... so when i put it in there with the motor up the tongue is right at the front of the garage and will be exposed. if i put the motor down, then i can get it about 2 feet further back and now will have to come up with something to stop the snow from blowing in... maybe a tarp tacked to the ceiling covering the front or something...

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys for your quick replies. I'm not worried about water getting in ,cause the complete motor will be covered along with the boat. But atleast I know now which position to keep it in. Thanks again.
I have another question but I'll post a new thread.