Kicker Question

I just picked up a Baha Fisherman and its an inboard with screw dirve. I saw a couple of boats that are similiar and they mounted their kicker in the very center of the transom. I was wondering if they are using their rudder to steer the kicker? and if there is something sold to accomplish that? Or are they able to steer the boat with just the rudder? Seems like you wouldn't be going fast enough but I don't know??? Plan on using the kicker to slow troll.
Thanks, Kevin

Wotam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Kicker Question

If the boat is moving, a conventional inboard rudder will steer it just fine...

I'd suspect that having the kicker centered on the transom keeps the engine thrust on the centerline and also keeps the outboard out of the way for fishing.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Kicker Question

I think you will be able to steer some with the rudder but trolling in the 1 to 2 mph range on a windy day into the wind will be impossible.

I have a 21 foot I/O boat with a 15 hp kicker on the port side. I can lock the kicker straight ahead and steer with the I/O on calm days, but when the wind picks up have no control at all. I attached my kicker with a EZ Steer to the I/O so can use out drive and Kicker thrust to steer but even then Have to use about 1/2 throttle to steer the boat into even a light 15 mph wind. When wind hit 20 it all I can do to turn the boat up into the wind or swells.