airboats anyone?

m&m252

Petty Officer 2nd Class
does anyone here go airboating.i know if you dont live next to a swamp it wont be easy but i'm just curious . i've been looking for a hobby and airboating , i've noticed its another way to get out of the crowds . also some good fishing holes and no one around for miles...

dmcb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: airboats anyone?

f I do live on a swamp. Well its a series of inland lakes but about 1/2 is swamp. I have had 4 airboats. The current one is 15' fiberglass with a complete deck over powered with a 502/502 Chev. engine.
That is 502 hp/502 ci.
Runs pretty good. It is a great sport. You can go anywhere even without water.
Not usually used in open water but mine has all stainless rigging and can be used in the Golf.
But you wouldn't want rough water.
Doug

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Only thing I know about them is they are way to noisy! Someone had one on the lake labor day weekend.Man that thing was so loud! Wasnt hardly moving but sounded like it was gonna go straight up into the galaxy.Not for me be deaf in no time.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Primarily designed for extremely shallow water to damp grass running.

Large area required for engine/ruddders.

Very noisy as stated, whirring prop and engine.

Requires large hp engine to run a boat of any size.

Efficiency is poor due to slippage in air and hull resistance of water. Burn disproportionate quanty of fuel for distance traveled.

Dangerous sitting in front seat, up high so that you can see over the swamp grass, aquatic weeds. Striking a submerged log on one side could eject you. If you wear a belt you stand the chance of several hazards.......and blasting thru swamp grass, where you can hardly see at 30 mph is hazardous to your health.......including the marsh bugs that hit you in the face.

Brother in law used to run a couple of 18 footers, with something like a 10' beam, powered by a 500 hp Caddy V8 in charter service.

HTH,

Mark

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The wife & I took a ride in one sometime back. It took a full day before my hearing got back to normal.

dmcb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well an airboater will wear ear protection.
A good airboater will muffle his engine and not operate at high speeds near homes or other places that people will be annoyed.
A good airboater will not operate near prop boats unless necessary which isn't often. When he does he will go slow and carefully watch his prop wash.
It is incorrect to say it is dangerous to sit up high. You do that so you can see.
I have been airboating for about 20 years and have yet to eject.
A good airboater won't go where he can't see like blasting through swamp grass.
There are usually trails through the grass.
A good airboater will have a flag high enough for another to see and use extreme caution when using these trails.
The flag is the law in Florida.
The mufflers are also.
It is like anything else, boating, hunting, whatever. A few jerks do things that make a bad name for all.
And if you use one or ride on one without ear protection, shame on you.
Like you should on any boating, leave the booze off the water. That is what usually turns on the jerks.
Doug

Ravman

Cadet

a few weeks ago i did alittle search on airboats. while in my neck of the woods they are not pratical, i still like them ever since i went for a ride in one in florida back in the 90's. below is one of the sites i found and if i was going to buy one i think i would be looking into one of these. the video's on the site are pretty cool and give you an idea of the versatility of airboats.

http://www.airboats.ca/

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

thats not the old fashioned airboat. a sled with a prop.

dmcb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Never saw an airboat like those.
Wouldn't be good for any swamp running because you sit so low but I can see places where they would do well.
In Michigan there used to be a lot of ice boats. Like an airboat but designed to run on ice.
Still quite popular as I understand it on Georgian Bay (part of Lake Huron). They call them Georgian Bay scoots.
Doug