Water in the trim pump

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just received a phone call today from the marina that my boat has been winterized and is ready for pick-up, however they found water in my trim pump reservoir. What would cause this to happen?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water in the trim pump

Leaky trim cylinder is the most likely.
What drive system and year?

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

1994 Alpha 1....What's something like this cost to repair?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I had that problem on my '88 Alpha. I found that if I sucked out the oil and replaced it twice a year, and used 5W-30 motor oil instead of tranny fluid, the water intrusion was minimal. The cure is to replace the trim cylinders (~$220 ea) plus installation or replace the seals in the cylinders.

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is that the most common reason for water entry...the cylinder has gone bad? Or could there be another reason?

imported_TheMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would think bad o-rings. Once you get water mixed in with the oil, you can start corroding the internals, making it difficult to raise/lower.

I freed one of mine up yesterday that was a bit locked up... applying 150 lbs of air pressure and using a leather mallet helped free it up though :). Now 150lbs of air moves it nice and purty like.

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm gonna have the mech mess with it next year...is the repair fairly quick...or is it something that's gonna take awhile for him to fix?