Replacing a Manifold

Roman S

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, quick question! I have a 1987 5.7 Liter Mercruiser S/B 260 HP, 4bbl carb. The Present manifold is cast iron, the heads are iron, the exhaust manifolds are aluminum. I want to replace the present manifold with a aluminum manifold. It wil take an Edlebrock replacement for the Rochester without a spacer. Would there be major compatibility problems> Or can it be done simply with the right gaskets.
Thanks Roman

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing a Manifold

I would not do it if you boat in salt water, for corrosion reasons.....
Should not be any other problems though....:)

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Replacing a Manifold

Before I bought the big boat (350) off a neighbor a few years back, he torched a motor from salt/age. Rebuilder had a EB Aluminum intake. Tossed it on (this 99) with the old Q-Junk carb. I got it, junked the Q-Jet, tossed a Edelbrock 650 CFM on and no problems. Just stick a pencil Zinc in one of the front large sender holes. Change yearly. I've had no problems, 8 years now. Pencil Zinc's at Boaters World. Need the brass plug and zinc to start with, then just charge the zinc after that. They unscrew. Also need to hacksaw a bit off so they don't bottom out. Make sure no coating on anything, and clean..need contact