Mercury 50hp 1978

tgpfloat

Seaman Apprentice
I inherited 50 hp mercury outboard 1978. It has been not been run for a few years. It has good compression and spark. I assume it needs a good carb cleaning and the lower unit seals may need to be replaced. I would like to attempt these maintenance items myself but have little experiance with outboard engines. Should I attempt it? I need to get a manual for the motor.
I have talked to some people who have said the factory Mercury manual will be over my head and some of the other after market manuals are better for non-marine mechanics?

Thanks

tgpfloat

2Smokinya

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercury 50hp 1978

If you are up for it, I would go ahead and do it yourself. Carbs are really easy to take apart and clean, especially old ones like that. The lower unit seals (I assume you mean the oil drain seals) are even easier to replace. Go ahead and try it yourself, you might learn something too.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury 50hp 1978

you should rebuild carb no big deal replace waterpump thats a must easy to do change lu oil do a decarb. and replace plugs. Just get a seloc manual you will be ok and you will be able to understand it better.take your time and you can do it