changing the oil

daniel2229

Seaman
My 2006 Seaswirl 170 (Mercruiser 3.0 I/O) sport boat has the easy engine oil drain system. I am wondering if I can do this oil change.

I had a 70 Olds Cutlass that never saw the inside of the Olds garage. I did all the maintenance until I sold it with 120k on it. So, I am somewhat mechanically inclined.

Here is what page 52 in the manual says about it.

Loosen the oil filter to vent the system.
Remove the bilge drain plug.
Pull tether through the bilge drain.
Place the oil drain hose in a suitable container.
Remove the drain plug from the oil drian hose.
After oil has drained completely, install the drain plug in the oil drain hose.
Push the hose through bilge drain and install the plug.

OK, here is my question -- is the tether that contains the oil drain hose hanging loose beneath my engine? When I epoxied my depth finder to the bottom of the boat, I didn't see anything dangling.

I have done several web searches for diagrams or photos and have come up empty. Any help is appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: changing the oil

My 2006 Seaswirl 170 (Mercruiser 3.0 I/O) sport boat has the easy engine oil drain system.

Ayuh,............

If in fact your motor has this option,.....

The Bilge Drain Plug will be tethered to the capped oil drain hose, which runs up to the oil pan's drain hole.......

If Not,..... The Oil Pan will have a Drain Plug,+ no hose hanging from it........

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

IF the manufacturer actually hooked the drain plug to the oil drain hose like they were supposed to, when you pull the boats drain plug the hose should follow. If not, it's probably wire tied to the side of the engine someplace. It will be the only hose hooked to the bottom of the oil pan.
Make sure you run the engine long enough to get the oil pan and filter very warm, it will still take forever to drain the engine, but it will work.

daniel2229

Seaman

The manual also says to do this out of the water, of course. How long can I safely run the engine out of the water? I don't have muffs.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

DO NOT run the engine, at all, without muffs.
Get some muffs, or forget changing the oil.

45Auto

Commander

As Don says, you CANNOT run the engine at all out of water without muffs! Zilch, Zip, Zero!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...........

I wouldn't even turn it over on the Starter.............

daniel2229

Seaman

OK, on the subject of running the engine out of the water. I get the point.=-)
I've seen muffs in the Overton's catalog, and they are cheap.

I went over to the boat today and did locate the tether. The reason I didn't see it the first time was that it comes out of the back of the oil pan, and I really wasn't looking for anything like that at the time. It wraps around the back of the engine and is attached by a shower curtain clip to one of the open engine bolt holes. The cap is wrapped with what appears to be electrical tape.

I took off the dog house and found that I can reach the bilge plug hole. So now all I need is the filter (which is painted over black by the manufacturer) and the Quicksilver oil.

Thanks for your help. Next year I may tackle the winterization myself.