Question about an Alpha drive with no power steering...

toddb3

Seaman Apprentice
I've got an 86 Rinell with no power steering, If I have the trim all the way down it steers effortlessly. If I have it trimmed up even slightly its like trying to steer an Edsel? Is this normal or is there anything I can do to make it turn easier with the trim slightly up? The reason I ask is sometimes when wakeboarding with the drive trimmed up a little I can build a nice wake, with it all the way down the boat puts out a really clean wake.

Thanks

tommays

Admiral
Re: Question about an Alpha drive with no power steering...

Is there an aftermarket Hydro-foil instaled on the drive ?

Is it hard to turn to starboard and easy to port ? Or the same

Tommays

toddb3

Seaman Apprentice

No aftermarket foil, all stock. Its just as hard to turn either direction, if its trimmed down all the way its easy but raising it just a few degrees its really hard to turn.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

My 1987 Wellcraft with no power steering does the exact same thing. The higher you trim the harder it is to turn. I always assumed it was normal. I dont know why but it just seems reasonable as the angle changes their would be changes in resistance on steering.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Mine is the same as well......;)

toddb3

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies, I've just never owned a boat without power steering. I guess its not really a problem unless you happen to find yourself in water thats more shallow than you thought :)