1999 3.0L searay Bow Rider Oil out top of valve cover

kingcronie

Recruit
I have oil pushing out pvc vent in top of valve cover. It dosen't seem to be blow by motor was replaced 2 years ago with merc factory Anyone have any idea?Replaced groument in top of valve cover still dose the same thing Any suggestions would be helpful

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1999 3.0L searay Bow Rider Oil out top of valve cover

I have oil pushing out pvc vent in top of valve cover. It dosen't seem to be blow by motor was replaced 2 years ago with merc factory Anyone have any idea?Replaced groument in top of valve cover still dose the same thing Any suggestions would be helpful
Welcome to iboats.
Mercruiser/Volvo/OMC I/O and Inboard repair forum.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

oil level to high

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would do a compression test if the oil level is ok. If it is high, check for fuel smell. The fuel pump could have gone bad and is dumping fuel in the oil. You don't mention a milky color to the oil so it isn't water getting in there. The reason for a comp test is to rule out rings or a hole in a piston which would pressurize the crankcase and blow out the oil.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I agree ^^^^^^^.....
Do you see anything exhaustlike coming out?.....
Welcome to iboats, btw.....:)

ron7000

Banned

only reason for a lot of oil to come out of the breather in the valve cover is blowby. It's just a baffled open vent so you will get a little oil accumulating around the grommet maybe a drop or two, but if it's leaking over the valve cover and onto the head and making it's way through the hose to the carb then it's a blowby problem. put your finger over the vent lightly when your running, if you feel a decent amount of positive pressure build up and blow out when you remove your finger you have a blowby problem. oil level won't have anything to do with it.

Wotam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A compression test only takes a few minutes and will probably tell the story.