How do I winterize my boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

traderdavel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am buying my first boat, a 1998 Monterey 276 Cruiser. Merc 7.4 I/O, full galley, AC/Heat, head, Kohler generator. I am going to have a mechanic winterize the engine, (and generator?), but I do not know what else needs to be done. I lived on Long Island, it will be shrinkwrapped. I've read about taking cusions in doors, and using baking soda for the moisture, but I am unsure what else should be done. Boat wasn't used much and is in need of detailing. (Do I do that now or in the spring?). Do I fill the tank with gas, or should it be empty? What about the water holding tank? I need to learn what needs to be done that the mechanic does not do. Also, are there specific things that they should do that I need to ask for?

Thank you in advance for your responses. I am looking forward to a great boating season in 2008.

schankla

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How do I winterize my boat?

I have a 1987 larson with a 4.3L omc I/O setup. Im trying to get it ready for winter, problem is the starter is locked up and its getting colder everyday. Last year i ran antifreeze through the muffs and that seemed to work as it was stored inside. however, i cant start it now to circulate the antifreeze through the motor. any suggestions and what and how to get it ready for the long north dakota winter? Also how do i just ask a question with out haveing to add a post to someone elses question? sorry im new to this

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Also how do i just ask a question with out haveing to add a post to someone elses question? sorry im new to this

At the top left of all forums there is a small box that says--Create New Post--.

Click on that and type on.

Welcome to Iboats.

schankla

Seaman Apprentice

call me crazy but i just dont see it. i can see a reply to post button but thats it

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well you must be in the main forum section to see the right button and not in one thread.

If you want to know about winterizing PLEASE use the search function. This question comes up 3x a day because of the season and all the old posts are still here.

jorda

Recruit

ANYONE know how to winterize a 1978 mercruiser? everyone always says drain the foot, but there appear to be no screws

Status
Not open for further replies.