bf8a running rich

coma

Recruit
this is driving me nuts - new plugs, carb cleaned (24 hrs in carb cleaner) but it continues to run rich in the tank. 1/2 hr. of fast idle run time and I've got a black ring on the lower end ( not oil as it is powder after letting it dry).plugs are sooty. the manual I have says to set float height @ 10mm with carb upright measuring between body and top of float??? I ignored that and held it upside down, measuring to the bottom of float. changing pilot jet setting has very little effect on idle speed or quality. new thermostat, timing checked, coil o-kay,starts fine(2-3 pulls cold). Any ideas? thanks

gss036

Commander
Re: bf8a running rich

You need to adjust the setting on the side of the carb. You are running too rich. Turn in the idle screw until it starts to die and back it back out a little at a time.

coma

Recruit

thanks for the reply. the idle screw is also known as the pilot air screw, right? if so, does screwing in lean the mixture or vice-versa? I can screw it in to within 1/2 turn of closed and the engine will still run. the best idle I could get (not great, kinda rough) was with 3 1/2 turns out. thanks

lexi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes screwing clockwise leans the mixture. You may still have some dirt in that idle jet. Some of those jets are stepped...and tiny. If you squirt cleaner in you sgould be able to see it come out of tiny holes in Venturi where throttle disc (valve) touches. Maybe check your timing and valve clearances also.

Alex

JUSTINTIME

Captain

i would pull cab and rebuild it it again
clean every little passageway
sometimes you need to use the Honda jet cleaner tools to get it right