gone in 60 secs

m&m252

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well more like 23minutes according to video tape. white truck pulls up to boat on trailer parked behind fence/gates . 1 guy gets out driver pull up to hitch trailer. lock @ trailer busted/ chains & locks cut . boat found hours later floating in bay without electronic,engines(2),t-top, and drain plug . now really why take the drain plug. i know i know ... then again no one saw a thing...

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: gone in 60 secs

Hmmm, probably the drain plug was out to begin with, I always pull the plug when boats' on the trailer, the boat was found afloat without the drain plug? nobody saw a thing except that darn video camera, Oh wait a minute you actually caught the perpatrators on video!

m&m252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i could only guess the boat was floating due to the fact that it was completly strip of everything that would other wise weigh it down to the point it would have sunk right away. it obviously took water but not enough to sink it...

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hope you catch the .........rds!!!
Im gonna laminate a gps tracker right into the hull of mine.

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wonder what kind of coupler lock they had. Apparently you cant just cut the 5/8 hardened steel ones by hand.

Just got this one. Hope it's enough.

diverse_couplerlock.gif

mole2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wonder what kind of coupler lock they had. Apparently you cant just cut the 5/8 hardened steel ones by hand.

diverse_couplerlock.gif

How long do you think it would take to change a coupler? No need to cut a lock or anything...just unbolt, bolt up the new one and you're off and running. Just cut the brake line since brakes aren't important for a theft. If a thief wants it he'll take it.

I have two locks on my coupler and a cable. That's just to keep the honest people honest. :)

:)

MikDee

Banned

Whoa Man! Sorry to hear that! hope they nail those suckers! Why steal a boat just for the electronics??? Anyway, it just goes to show you, if the thieves target it, and want it, not much is gonna stop them,,, The old adage applies, "A lock is to keep an honest man, honest"

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

How long do you think it would take to change a coupler? No need to cut a lock or anything...just unbolt, bolt up the new one and you're off and running. Just cut the brake line since brakes aren't important for a theft. If a thief wants it he'll take it.

I have two locks on my coupler and a cable. That's just to keep the honest people honest. :)

Yes that is true. But I was just curious has in this story they actually broke the lock.
p.s. I don't like the adage "to keep the honest people honest". I don't think honest people would steal just because they can. I prefer saying "to keep the lazy crooks away."

SandMan*

Seaman

Find a way to post the video on here, these things are always interesting to see...

Nandy

Commander

diverse_couplerlock.gif

That is what an oxyacetilene is for, maybe a bolt cutter or a battery powered disc cutter(too noisy though).

Hate to hear that man, dang crooks!

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I said by hand I mean with bolt cutters. Apparently no can do.

Oxyacetylene. Had to look that up. If they are carrying tanks and torches then not much can stop them. :eek:

hextwist.JPG

m&m252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this was neighbors boat not mine,i've been lucky my boat not as flashy as stolen boat. invistigators have tape , trailer hasnt been located ? what happen to lock on tongue ??? believe she said gorilla lock... i remember taking 1 off with 3lb. hammer...if they want it they will get it who do you think invents these security items ex-thief making legit living now....

SandMan*

Seaman

PhatboyC - the picture you posted looks like a Carbon Air Arc Gouger which will pretty much cut through any thickness of steel with a few passes.

The only hinder is that you have to carry around a big welding machine and a compressed air source ;)

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Smart thieves are apparently few and far between. Perhaps that's because someone with a reasonable number of working brain cells can make more money doing honest work than thieving off of others and their morals are on a higher level too.

Anyway, a coupler lock wouldn't stop me. I'd just pull up and Ubolt an extension onto your tongue with an open coupler sticking out past the end of your locked coupler. Snap it onto my ball and off I go with your rig. 23 minutes? How about 2 minutes tops and silent as a mouse.

I only use a simple lock on my couplers. I refuse to let the fear of someone taking my stuff impact my quality of life. I use enough deterrent to make it inconvenient for the majority of thieves. Taking wheels off and other escalated deterrents are very inconvenient to me too and maybe even make thieves think it's actually worth stealing. My 2c.

Maclin

Admiral

I run a heavy cable lock thru one of the wheels and around up over the fender so they can see it. Anything that makes them take longer will cause them to keep looking.

tommays

Admiral

With a 4-1/2" battery angle grinder and a .045 cutting disk about 10 seconds for any lock OR cable

You have no idea how many truck drivers lose the trailer lock keys and we have to get them in and out FAST

Tommays

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Boat & engine theft is rampant here in Scandinavia, with gangs of thieves from Eastern Europe going from one harbour to the next.

According to the local newspaper (link), the thieves apparently first send a scouting team to mark out their picks, take photos and perform their reconnaissance. Second team comes to dismantle the engines, and will use anything to get them (torch burners, chain saws to cut through the transom, hydraulic pliers, hoists & lifts, etc.). The engines are then taken to some hideaway where the third team loads them on trucks and ships them out of the country by the truckload. In the last 5 years, more than 4000 engines have been stolen from just our local area (the Oslofjord area).

Alarms, locks and guards at the dock will stop the impulsive, incompetent or lazy thieves. The determined ones are unstoppable. :(

SuperNova

Lieutenant

You gotta put a boot on the wheels if you really want to stop them, anything less is fairly easy to bypass. Ex Repo-man. A big pair of bolt cutters with carbide cutting tips will get thru anything pretty easily.
--
Stan