Advice on boat project, 19' Alum I/O

M3Spinner

Cadet
So I can get a 1987? 19' Blue Fin Sportsman 1900 Alum I/O with an OMC Cobra/ Ford 2.3L as the power, for free, maybe (it is my dads boat). He has another boat he only uses. It is sitting on the side of my Dad's house, and has not been in the water for about 2-3 years. We used to fish in this boat quite a lot, lakes, Sac River.

The dreamer in me wants to make this a fun project boat and drag it down to do Rock fishing out of Avila Beach. I want to learn/experiment, and so fourth. Nothing too stressful, but something or a couple of friends to help out with. Or scrape together $80,000 for a new Whaler, but thats dreaming...

Images can be found here:
http://members.trainorders.com/spinner/images/boat/

Ideas
The deck is squishy, so I am planning on ripping up the ply, and re-doing the deck with blocking/supports for mounting attachments. Painting with an epoxy paint, adding some grit for traction. Good by carpet.

Any ideas where the fuel tank is? I am guessing it is in the bow, under the small deck. I might want to clear that space out and get a tank that mounts under the deck.

I do not like the dual console design, fish and ski, as it is not friendly to fishing (the only use for the boat). I want to me it a center console. The main problem with that I see is the running of the cabling, seating and shift. Currently it is all in the gunnels/sides. Add a t-top for shade, and a leaning post/seat. The thought is to make it more of a fishing boat.

Can I install a hydraulic steering? worth it? Will that limit the cabling problems? Create more headaches?

The power is a ford 2.3L with an OMC Cobra drive. My father did have the OMC unit rebuilt 2-3 years ago, with only a few outings on the rebuild. The power has always been reliable...with basic services by a marine mechanic he knows.

So I have been thinking about this for some time, and dreaming. I am willing to put a few thousand bucks plus my blood, sweat, and tears into making this work for me. Am I out of my mind? Major stumbling blocks?

Anyway, I will post some images of what I was thinking about doing when I get home from work. I would rather plan this to oblivion before I get too deep.

I have followed another 18' alum Blue Fin project boat, and seems like a good place to start understanding what I am dealing with. I will post the link tonight.

Anyway, let me have it!! Even if I do not go ahead with this, would be nice to know how you recommend getting started in general.

Thanks,
Spinner

evilratgirl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Advice on boat project, 19' Alum I/O

It sounds like a nice solid and basic platform to start with. You mention alot of options in your "dreams". Especially if this is your first bigger boat project I'd suggest the K.I.S.S. option.
Other then making sure the hull is serviceable, just getting the 2.3 and outdrive working sweet is more important then reengineering. You don't mention if this is salt or freshwater.
1. Get the service manual for the Cobra drive and 2.3 and get it running.
Parts for the 2.3 and Cobra ARE avaliable. The internet is the best place
to find parts.
2. If the floor is that bad, it should unscrew and make good templates. I
prefer the marine floor vinyl, especially for fishing.
3. Even with the dual counsel it easily makes a nice fishing rig. Adjustable or
changeable seating at the counsels can easily get you up for casting. The
dual counsels do provide some structural support.

By the time you get these 3 bases covered you'll have a better idea of reality of boating costs vs "dreams".

M3Spinner

Cadet
Re: Advice on boat project, 19' Alum I/O

Thanks guys for the input.

Here is the project boat I was looking at, that I mentioned:

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,314,00.html

and the initial thought on the boat:

Disclaimer:
I found the boat hull on Google Warehouse, and modified it.

Thanks again
Spinner
render.png