getting rid of that bow rise

polar21

Recruit
I have recently bought a 21' polar bay boat. i have a jack plate and a 4 blade prop on a 150 yamaha sws. i get a lot of bow rise getting up on plane and coming off. i am looking at correcting the problem but there are many options. The expensive options is just to bite the bullet and buy some nice trim tabs - $800+. i am also looking at the smart tabs sx $150. I have kinda pushed the idea of a hydrofoil aside. what recommendations do you all have?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: getting rid of that bow rise

I prefer helm adjustable tabs, but Smart Tabs are a great way to handle this as well. Smart Tabs installation is a piece of cake. Lenco's are easier to install than Bennett's, which are tough, but they have great customer service and they work very well. My .02

polar21

Recruit

Just to clarify. the bad bow rise is with jack plate all the way down and engine trimmed all teh way down. any upwards adjustment to either prior to getting up and going creates even worse bow rise.

Overboost

Recruit

I have good luck with just bumping the outdrive up until the bow decides to come down and then I lower it back again and it goes nice and straight. I used the tabs to then lift her up out of the water a bit and she planes real nice.

and no, the boat in the pic is NOT the vista, its the 1100 HP dual 502 scarab. it does about 110. in that pic, its going about 60

Attachments

• scarab2.jpg
    scarab2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0

MikDee

Banned

I have a 19' Bayliner with a 125hp Force motor, and I just began getting bow rise! it kind of surprised me, although I like it because it is a bowrider, and now I can put people in the bow on plane without it plowing. The only thing I did different, was I just put a 4 blade 17" pitch prop on it. The previous original 3 blade 19" pitch prop didn't do this, so I'd say it is the 4 blade prop doing it.