Winter Storage Gas Or No Gas

RSHOOTER

Cadet
Boat U.S. recently came out with a recommendation that boats in winter storage should have their tanks filled to 95%. According to them it helps to prevent phase separation of the Ethanol Gas. Once that happens they also say a water separator or treatment doesn't help.
Merc and my dealer say to leave the tank close to empty for winter and fill up in the Spring. Boat U.S. says that promotes condensation and phase separation. What do you think is the best way?

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Winter Storage Gas Or No Gas

I have always filled the tanks up, and put stabilizer in them. ( then run the engine to get the stabilizer into the engine). never had an issue when I did that (and I have the 'corn gas' also). One year I did not, and got rust on the float in the tank (So the sensor stoped working), so now I fill the tanks ( also, you never know what the price of gas is the next year.)

RSHOOTER

Cadet

Mine is a 35 Gallon tank with a Stern Drive Mercruiser....I don't appreciate you moving the thread. I would like to hear some dialog about the Boat U.S. finding. Thanks.

RSHOOTER

Cadet
Winter Storage

Winter Storage

Please do not move this thread. I have a Merc Stern Drive with a 35 Gallon Gas Tank and want to hear what like owners think. I know what Merc recommends but Boat U.S. is also highly respected and I would like to hear some dialog.

Boat U.S. recently came out with a recommendation that boats in winter storage should have their tanks filled to 95%. According to them it helps to prevent phase separation of the Ethanol Gas. Once that happens they also say a water separator or treatment doesn't help.
Merc and my dealer say to leave the tank close to empty for winter and fill up in the Spring. Boat U.S. says that promotes condensation and phase separation. What do you think is the best way?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Winter Storage

If you have a problem with your engine or drive, then the IO forum is what you want. To discuss options for fuel tanks and ethanol, that is not an engine topic.
Moving to Boat Topics and Questions (Not Engine Topics)

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

I put stabilizer in my tank,fill it up, and run it until the stabilized fuel goes through the system. I also fog my engine while I'm running RV antifreeze through it.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

No gas.

I have never, ever seen water condense in any gas tank I have ever owned. Even if it does, there is a water separating filter on the boat to handle that.

If there is no gas, there is nothing to turn to sludge, nothing do slowly evaporate out of the carbs and leave gum behind, etc.

No gas means no problems.

And gas stabilizers do not replace or prevent the evaporation of the lighter products in gas like butane that make it start easy. Old gas just simply does not ignite as easy as fresh gas.

RSHOOTER

Cadet

I probably should have phrased it differently. With my 35 Gallon tank the choice is either 95% full per Boat U.S. or a few gallons per Mecruiser. No one I could drain the whole tank.
According to Boat U.S when phase separation occurs with Ethanol gas a water separator doesn't help. How big is your tank?
I also know on my lawn mowers I have always stored them with a full tank to prevent condensation.
This is a confusing issue. Mostly full or mostly empty.

skeat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As Boat US says nothing can help with phase separation, which can occur after 60-90 days. Also there is nothing you can do to stop the ethanol from absorbing moisture from the air. Even a full tank is vented to the outside, though at least it minimizes the air exchange. I use a fuel hose with an outboard bulb on it (and the fittings removed) to just siphon into another tank. I also saw a hand pump for under $30 that is rated for gas at the big marine retailers. You can get it pretty low that way and then just throw in some stabilizer to protect whats left. The thought of having to dispose of a full tank of gas is an environmental problem I don't want to face.

I'm going with, gas her up. The rust on the floats becomes an issue if there's no gas. Though I will say, if the tanks are drained 100%, conditioned and cleaned then no gas. There's a right way and then there's a half-^&* way.

The owner of my Whaler before me rusted my floats to the core. I had to drain and clean both tanks... Looked like ants got in there and were planning an empire.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

How big is your tank?

14 gallons. Its plastic.

Here is an opposing view of condensation in fuel tanks, specifically in boats:

The Myth of Condensation in Fuel Tanks
by David Pascoe​
Frequently we hear it said that the cause of water in fuel tanks is due to condensation. I have long doubted this assertion but the issue has come up so frequently that I was finally motivated to try prove to the point. The basis of my belief or assumption is that:

There isn't enough air volume within a tank to hold much vapor.

On average, tanks are half full, further reducing volume

The amount of water vapor in air is very small, even at 100% humidity

Conditions aren't right to cause condensation in a fuel tank

Research produced the following values for the maximum amount of liquid water in air at the following temperatures:

30C/86F 30 grams/cubic meter
20C/50F 17 grams/cubic meter
10C/13F 9 grams/cubic meter

There are 28 grams per ounce, so 30 grams = 1.07 oz; 17 grams = 0.6428 oz.

A cubic meter equals 264 gallons of liquid volume, therefore:

A 200 gallon tank = 0.76 cubic meter.

At 86F, an empty 200 gallon tank could contain 22.8 grams of water vapor, or 0.81 oz.

At 50F, an empty 200 gallon tank could contain 12.92 grams of water vapor, or 0.46 oz.

Note that this is the maximum amount of water vapor that a completely empty tank could contain, in neither case a full ounce of water.

In order to condense water out of the atmosphere a surface must be much colder than the air. The problem for the condensation in tank theory is; how do we end up with a fuel tank that is much colder than the air? One way would be to have a very cold day that suddenly warms up dramatically, but when does this ever happen? The weather can turn cold very fast, but does not suddenly get very warm.

Aluminum is second only to copper for rapid heat transfer properties; it will therefore adjust to atmospheric temperature changes quickly. Gasoline and diesel fuel, like water absorb [sic] heat and cold slowly. Thus one might expect to see sweating on the outside of a tank as the day warms up from cold mornings, but do we? Well, I can say that after 35 years of inspecting boats, I've rarely seen tanks sweating. Note: Sweating may be likely to occur with boats in very cold waters when warm days are encountered.

This issue first came up a number of years ago over a question of whether internal engine rusting could be due to condensation caused by sudden temperature changes as from day to night and vice versa. Since that time, inspection of hundreds of engines showed that rust only occurs on the underside of valve covers due to water contamination of the oil. Very few engines have rusty undersides of valve covers, thereby proving the point that ice cold engine blocks in the morning don?t sweat at it warms up during the day. If that is true, then how could it be true that fuel tanks sweat?

My answer is that they don?t and these calculations prove it. My initial assumptions were correct. You do not need to store or lay up your boat with full fuel tanks. If you are getting water in your fuel, it is getting there some other way.

Contaminated Fuel

Years ago we had serious fuel contamination problems due to underground steel storage tanks that rusted and leaked. Today all tanks are fiberglass, so this no longer happens (that I know of). However, those underground tanks do have fill plates on the ground surface (usually the parking lot) that can leak just like your boat deck plate. As the marina pumps its tanks nearly dry before the next fuel delivery, those who buy fuel from the near empty tank are the ones that are going to get the water (because it's pumped from the bottom of the tank). This despite the fact that the dock fuel pump has a water separating filter. I've opened the panels on occasion and have found the sight bowls completely filled with water, so at this point the water is being passed on to the customer. Next time you buy diesel, ask to see the filter at the pump! You have to remove the lower pump panel to see it.

However, it is important to note if you're getting water from your fuel retailer, chances are that it won't be a small amount. Most likely it will be a lot and your filters will fill up and engines crap out post-haste.

Leaking Fill Caps

By far the most common cause of contaminated boat tanks are deck fill caps that leak. Most of these things are stupidly mounted flat on decks which may puddle with water. The cap has a tiny little O-ring that is supposed to seal and keep water out. DOES IT? I wouldn't depend on one of these things unless I could prove that it doesn't leak. Check the condition of the o-ring and weather it is sealing.

One way to check positively is to clean the o-ring seat thoroughly; next apply some black or any color paint to the o-ring and screw the cap in place, tight. Then remove it and see if the paint has been completely transferred to the ring seat. If not, you now know where the problem is.

Another problem is the simple failure to seat the cap fully after refueling. This actually happens a lot, so check to see if the cap is loose.

The Tank Vent

Improperly located fuel tank vent fittings are one of the top causes of water getting into tanks. When this is the cause, if you are a salt water boater, then it will be salt water in your tank. A fuel tank vent fitting on the side of the hull should be angled down and aftward. If angled in any other direction, you've got a problem that needs fixing. Watch out for deteriorated plastic and zinc alloy fittings; some of these things deteriorate incredibly fast.

The vent line should have a riser loop on the inside. That is, it travels upward first, then downward. If not, that is another potential problem.

Check the Fuel Gauge Sender

One final possibility is the fuel gauge sender plate on top of the fuel tank. These are often made of steel or have steel screws that can rust away, a situation I've seen several times. Is water puddling on the tank top? Test all screws with a screw driver to make sure they are securely seated.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/myth_of_condensation_in_fuel_tanks.htm

45Auto

Commander

I’ve read all Pascoe’s stuff, some of its pretty good. He seems experienced on many practical aspects, but weak on some things where an engineering background would be useful. Lots of discussion about some of his articles on some other boards that cater to the bigger yacht crowd.

He bases his conclusion on 4 assumptions:

1) There isn't enough air volume within a tank to hold much vapor.

2) On average, tanks are half full, further reducing volume

3) The amount of water vapor in air is very small, even at 100% humidity

4) Conditions aren't right to cause condensation in a fuel tank

I see several problems with his assumptions:

The air volume in the tank doesn’t NEED to hold much vapor. He assumes a closed system (no vent) in his calculations to show that the tank could only contain .81 ounces of water at 86 degrees. While it’s true that the volume of air in the tank at any time can only have a given amount of moisture (the .81 ounces), that volume inside the tank is constantly being exchanged with the outside air through the vent. Any moisture that comes out as dew in the tank is IMMIEDIATLY replaced from the outside atmosphere so the tank atmosphere will ALWAYS have the .81 ounces in it. The tank is vented. The tank has an INFINITE supply of humid air available to it. That humidity is constantly being pulled out by the cool walls of the tank.

If I wanted to estimate the water that could be trapped, I think I would assume that the tank is the equivalent of the “Condensation Trap” described in my old Army Survival Manual (It’s just a plastic sheet over a hole in the ground):

dewtrap.jpg

The U.S. Army has this to say about condensation traps:

Condensation Trap Efficiency

"It should be noted that condensation traps are not in themselves a sustainable source of water; they are sources for extending or supplementing existing water sources or supplies, and should not be relied on to provide a person's daily requirement for water, since a trap measuring 16" in diameter by 12" deep will only yield around 100 to 150ml per day."

So a trap 16” in diameter by 12” deep will “only” yield 100 ml a day. A gas tank 16” in diameter and 12” long would hold a little less than 10.5 gallons. Most built in tanks are over 10 gallons in size I bet.

100 ml a day is .03 gallons per day. So 30 days at 100 ml per day would be .9 gallons per month. So even if we assume half this much it could still easily be ? gallon a month of water condensing in the tank.

This fits with my personal experience with 3 cars. I left a 4-Runner with about 1/4 tank of gas in it sitting for a year and the whole bottom of the tank and the electric fuel pump rusted out. It had several inches of water in the bottom. The sides above the fuel were solid rust. Left a Corona sitting with a partial tank for 6 months and the tank rusted up so bad it kept clogging the fuel filter. Shook it around with a bunch of pennies in it to remove the rust then sealed it with Kreem tank sealer. Had a Corvette with half a tank sit there for 6 months and rusted the fuel pump out. Drained a couple of gallons of water out of the tank. Since then I've had several cars sitting around with full tanks and had no other problems, but I also make sure to drive them once a month or so.

2) On average, tanks are half full, further reducing volume.

It’s a valid assumption if you’re looking for average volume. If you’re storing your tank empty, obviously it’s going to have the full surface area and volume of the tank available for condensation.

3) The amount of water vapor in air is very small, even at 100% humidity.

That is true. But there is a lot of air!

4) Conditions aren't right to cause condensation in a fuel tank.

He says:

“In order to condense water out of the atmosphere a surface must be much colder than the air. The problem for the condensation in tank theory is; how do we end up with a fuel tank that is much colder than the air? One way would be to have a very cold day that suddenly warms up dramatically, but when does this ever happen? The weather can turn cold very fast, but does not suddenly get very warm.”

Really weak arguments here. It doesn’t have to be “much colder”. The moisture comes out of the air at the DEW POINT. Look up “DEW POINT”:

“The dew point is associated with relative humidity. A high relative humidity indicates that the dew point is closer to the current air temperature. If the relative humidity is 100%, the dew point is equal to the current temperature.”

In other words, at 100% humidity the dew point is equal to the current temperature so the moisture comes out of the air. It’s called “rain”. One degree of temperature can and will condense moisture out of the air at a high humidity. We see that all the time here in New Orleans. Humidity in the 90’s is not uncommon here. If the humidity is high then a surface doesn’t have to be much cooler than the air to condense the moisture out of it and form dew. If you live in a low humidity area then there is not much moisture in the air and it takes a large temperature difference to get it to condense out. Not sure where Pascoe lives, maybe he’s never seen high humidity.

He really can’t figure out how we get a tank colder than the atmosphere? The tank chills down overnight in the cold air to the air temp (takes a while, several hours probably). Then the atmosphere starts warming up during the day. Not too many built-in tanks exposed to sun to help them warm up. Most tanks are built into the floor and have very little airspace around them. Some even have foam around them. Can you say “insulation”? Almost the only way an empty tank CAN warm up or cool down is through the atmosphere being exchanged through the vent. So it will take it about the same amount of time to warm up to the atmosphere as it did to cool down. Probably several hours. During that several hours the tank is pumping moisture out of the infinite atmosphere available to it through the vent. I wouldn’t be surprised if on lots of days the tank NEVER gets up to the daytime air temperature and has moisture condensing on its walls all day.

Then he proves engine blocks don’t sweat by saying the underside of the valve covers aren’t rusted? Has he ever noticed that coating of slimy stuff (oil) that’s on the underside of every valve cover I’ve ever seen? My experience with an engine sitting up is that the cylinders above the pistons are the first thing to rust up, probably since the rings scrape most of the oil off them.

Next he says no condensation in the engine. I thought everyone knew you had condensation in an engine. Cold engine block, moist air – how can you not? Send in an oil sample from any engine and moisture is usually the #1 contaminant! The Fischer Water Titration test is the most common test for water. The explanation below is from MRT Labs (oil analysis).

Karl Fischer Water Titration

"Water is the most common contaminant found in lubricating oils. It is also one of the most damaging to bearings and other lubricated components. It causes corrosion to metal surfaces, lubricant degradation, and poor lubrication. Water can be present in three forms in lubricating oils:
Dissolved: There is a limited amount of solubility of water in oil which is very temperature dependant. At 120? F, about 100 ppm of water can be dissolved in oil. Dissolved water is not harmful nor does it affect the appearance or performance of the lubricant.
Emulsified: Water and oil can form tight bonds that are difficult to break. This form of water in oil is what causes oil to become milky and is the most harmful. Oil will begin to become 'milky' at about 150 - 300 ppm, depending on the base stock and additive in the lubricant.
Free Water: These are free water droplets, often suspended in the lubricant due to surface tension. This form of water in oil is also very harmful to lubricated parts, but is also the easiest to separate."

When you get your engine up to temp it boils most of the moisture off. Some water always remains dissolved in the oil. This is why they recommend short oil change intervals if you use your car for short trips. The reason short trips are considered “harsh service” is because the oil never gets up to temp to evaporate most of the moisture. NOTE: having “dissolved moisture” in your oil is not bad! This is NOT the chocolate milk you see from a cracked block or rusted out manifold. On another note, the “sludge” you see in engines without much maintenance is mainly mildly emulsified oil and water.

If you want to see some people serious about condensation effects look up some articles on aircraft. There’s a REASON a pilot drains his tanks before EVERY flight whether he’s added fuel or not! He doesn’t want to die when the engine quits while trying to burn water! There’s a REASON they make crankcase and cylinder dehumidifiers for aircraft going into storage – It’s to prevent damage from CONDENSATION in the engine!

In summary, his calculations don’t prove anything. Bad assumptions invalidate them. If I assume that my boat weighs 500 pounds I can calculate that it would go about 100 mph. Doesn’t prove anything. It actually weighs about 4000 pounds, so the calculation is invalid.

I don’t have any experience or knowledge of the ethanol fuels. Sounds like there could be a real concern with them separating. I do know that as long as I’m using real gas I’ll keep my tanks as full as possible!

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I?ve read all Pascoe?s stuff, some of its pretty good. He seems experienced on many practical aspects, but weak on some things where an engineering background would be useful. Lots of discussion about some of his articles on some other boards that cater to the bigger yacht crowd.

He bases his conclusion on 4 assumptions:

2) On average, tanks are half full, further reducing volume

3) The amount of water vapor in air is very small, even at 100% humidity

4) Conditions aren't right to cause condensation in a fuel tank

I see several problems with his assumptions:

The air volume in the tank doesn?t NEED to hold much vapor. He assumes a closed system (no vent) in his calculations to show that the tank could only contain .81 ounces of water at 86 degrees. While it?s true that the volume of air in the tank at any time can only have a given amount of moisture (the .81 ounces), that volume inside the tank is constantly being exchanged with the outside air through the vent. Any moisture that comes out as dew in the tank is IMMIEDIATLY replaced from the outside atmosphere so the tank atmosphere will ALWAYS have the .81 ounces in it. The tank is vented. The tank has an INFINITE supply of humid air available to it. That humidity is constantly being pulled out by the cool walls of the tank.

If I wanted to estimate the water that could be trapped, I think I would assume that the tank is the equivalent of the ?Condensation Trap? described in my old Army Survival Manual (It?s just a plastic sheet over a hole in the ground):

dewtrap.jpg

The U.S. Army has this to say about condensation traps:

Condensation Trap Efficiency

"It should be noted that condensation traps are not in themselves a sustainable source of water; they are sources for extending or supplementing existing water sources or supplies, and should not be relied on to provide a person's daily requirement for water, since a trap measuring 16" in diameter by 12" deep will only yield around 100 to 150ml per day."

So a trap 16? in diameter by 12? deep will ?only? yield 100 ml a day. A gas tank 16? in diameter and 12? long would hold a little less than 10.5 gallons. Most built in tanks are over 10 gallons in size I bet.

100 ml a day is .03 gallons per day. So 30 days at 100 ml per day would be .9 gallons per month. So even if we assume half this much it could still easily be ? gallon a month of water condensing in the tank.

This fits with my personal experience with 3 cars. I left a 4-Runner with about 1/4 tank of gas in it sitting for a year and the whole bottom of the tank and the electric fuel pump rusted out. It had several inches of water in the bottom. The sides above the fuel were solid rust. Left a Corona sitting with a partial tank for 6 months and the tank rusted up so bad it kept clogging the fuel filter. Shook it around with a bunch of pennies in it to remove the rust then sealed it with Kreem tank sealer. Had a Corvette with half a tank sit there for 6 months and rusted the fuel pump out. Drained a couple of gallons of water out of the tank. Since then I've had several cars sitting around with full tanks and had no other problems, but I also make sure to drive them once a month or so.

2) On average, tanks are half full, further reducing volume.

It?s a valid assumption if you?re looking for average volume. If you?re storing your tank empty, obviously it?s going to have the full surface area and volume of the tank available for condensation.

3) The amount of water vapor in air is very small, even at 100% humidity.

That is true. But there is a lot of air!

4) Conditions aren't right to cause condensation in a fuel tank.

He says:

?In order to condense water out of the atmosphere a surface must be much colder than the air. The problem for the condensation in tank theory is; how do we end up with a fuel tank that is much colder than the air? One way would be to have a very cold day that suddenly warms up dramatically, but when does this ever happen? The weather can turn cold very fast, but does not suddenly get very warm.?

Really weak arguments here. It doesn?t have to be ?much colder?. The moisture comes out of the air at the DEW POINT. Look up ?DEW POINT?:

?The dew point is associated with relative humidity. A high relative humidity indicates that the dew point is closer to the current air temperature. If the relative humidity is 100%, the dew point is equal to the current temperature.?

In other words, at 100% humidity the dew point is equal to the current temperature so the moisture comes out of the air. It?s called ?rain?. One degree of temperature can and will condense moisture out of the air at a high humidity. We see that all the time here in New Orleans. Humidity in the 90?s is not uncommon here. If the humidity is high then a surface doesn?t have to be much cooler than the air to condense the moisture out of it and form dew. If you live in a low humidity area then there is not much moisture in the air and it takes a large temperature difference to get it to condense out. Not sure where Pascoe lives, maybe he?s never seen high humidity.

He really can?t figure out how we get a tank colder than the atmosphere? The tank chills down overnight in the cold air to the air temp (takes a while, several hours probably). Then the atmosphere starts warming up during the day. Not too many built-in tanks exposed to sun to help them warm up. Most tanks are built into the floor and have very little airspace around them. Some even have foam around them. Can you say ?insulation?? Almost the only way an empty tank CAN warm up or cool down is through the atmosphere being exchanged through the vent. So it will take it about the same amount of time to warm up to the atmosphere as it did to cool down. Probably several hours. During that several hours the tank is pumping moisture out of the infinite atmosphere available to it through the vent. I wouldn?t be surprised if on lots of days the tank NEVER gets up to the daytime air temperature and has moisture condensing on its walls all day.

Then he proves engine blocks don?t sweat by saying the underside of the valve covers aren?t rusted? Has he ever noticed that coating of slimy stuff (oil) that?s on the underside of every valve cover I?ve ever seen? My experience with an engine sitting up is that the cylinders above the pistons are the first thing to rust up, probably since the rings scrape most of the oil off them.

Next he says no condensation in the engine. I thought everyone knew you had condensation in an engine. Cold engine block, moist air ? how can you not? Send in an oil sample from any engine and moisture is usually the #1 contaminant! The Fischer Water Titration test is the most common test for water. The explanation below is from MRT Labs (oil analysis).

Karl Fischer Water Titration

"Water is the most common contaminant found in lubricating oils. It is also one of the most damaging to bearings and other lubricated components. It causes corrosion to metal surfaces, lubricant degradation, and poor lubrication. Water can be present in three forms in lubricating oils:
Dissolved: There is a limited amount of solubility of water in oil which is very temperature dependant. At 120? F, about 100 ppm of water can be dissolved in oil. Dissolved water is not harmful nor does it affect the appearance or performance of the lubricant.
Emulsified: Water and oil can form tight bonds that are difficult to break. This form of water in oil is what causes oil to become milky and is the most harmful. Oil will begin to become 'milky' at about 150 - 300 ppm, depending on the base stock and additive in the lubricant.
Free Water: These are free water droplets, often suspended in the lubricant due to surface tension. This form of water in oil is also very harmful to lubricated parts, but is also the easiest to separate."

When you get your engine up to temp it boils most of the moisture off. Some water always remains dissolved in the oil. This is why they recommend short oil change intervals if you use your car for short trips. The reason short trips are considered ?harsh service? is because the oil never gets up to temp to evaporate most of the moisture. NOTE: having ?dissolved moisture? in your oil is not bad! This is NOT the chocolate milk you see from a cracked block or rusted out manifold. On another note, the ?sludge? you see in engines without much maintenance is mainly mildly emulsified oil and water.

If you want to see some people serious about condensation effects look up some articles on aircraft. There?s a REASON a pilot drains his tanks before EVERY flight whether he?s added fuel or not! He doesn?t want to die when the engine quits while trying to burn water! There?s a REASON they make crankcase and cylinder dehumidifiers for aircraft going into storage ? It?s to prevent damage from CONDENSATION in the engine!

In summary, his calculations don?t prove anything. Bad assumptions invalidate them. If I assume that my boat weighs 500 pounds I can calculate that it would go about 100 mph. Doesn?t prove anything. It actually weighs about 4000 pounds, so the calculation is invalid.

I don?t have any experience or knowledge of the ethanol fuels. Sounds like there could be a real concern with them separating. I do know that as long as I?m using real gas I?ll keep my tanks as full as possible!

:eek:..........WOW id just drain the tank........that hurt...;)

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

all i know on the subject is one year i drained the gas tank on my snowmobile every last ounce and put it up for the summer the next winter it had about a cup and a half of watter in the bottom of the tank.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

in the pilots training manual.... it says to allways fill the tanks reguardless of how long you are storing. because of condensation. (i believe this is now a ntsb law) the National Transportation and Safety Board has walked up to too many smoking holes not to have somthing to say about it!

as for boats... got an old 69 sea ray i rescued outta a farmers feild that had a rusty 120 lieter tank.
boat broke down on the lake more than once beacause of it. my fuel filter at the carb was full of rust each time. had to clean the seporator too.
im now refitting the boat fully and you guessed it new gas tank going in.

fill the tank to 98% and add stabelizer.
if its a two stroke add the stabelizer then store, then drain the gas compleatly use it in your car. start the season with new gas.

were having a lot of trouble here in canada with snomobiles that are using old gas. runs fine for an hour then ka blewey! your being towed off the hill and straight to the rebulid shop!

CHEERS
oops!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have read many times that water condenses in gas tanks. Never once actually had it happen to me. Seems to be an accepted fact, though. The yacht survay article makes strong arguments that indicate water does not condense in gas tanks.

I understand that the NTSB says to drain water from tanks, but they are not providing any proof as to how water gets there. It could be pumped from the storage tanks!

45auto's post has some interesting info, but there is only so much air displaced from a container with only one vent. So much for complete displacement of air on a regular basis, and therefore there goes the argument. Also, the army device is specifically designed to condense water from moist ground where there is a temperature differential.

I would like to see some proof where a tank half full of gas (and therefore half full of gas vapor) is able to replace the gas vapor with humid air and also have such temperature extreme that the water condenses out. And also displace enough moist air to condense any measurable amount of water.

Should make for an interesting read.

I'll believe the condensation theory when water starts showing up in my vented empty or partly empty gas tanks.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if you own a private air craft, you must drain the water out of the tanks as part of the pre flight. they even have a tool that is with every aircraft for it!
there is no storage tanks that are joined to the fuel tank. water condences in the fuel tank. the only pilots that dont beleive that are dead ones!
R.I.P

dont mean to step on any ones toe's
the fact still remains.