Brush cutter attachment for string trimmer

mscher

Lieutenant
Anyone have a trimmer that has an interchangable "head", for attachments, such as a brush cutter, leaf blower, etc,.

I have a 7+ year old Rybobi 875r and was considering using a brush cutter attachment. Home Depot has a "generic" one for $80, but used ones or look-alikes sell on eBay for much less. Sears even sells these type of attachments.

Wondering how good they work and if there is a common shaft size/design among the trimmer manufacturers, for these attachments.

Can't seem to find any charts or other info on interchangability.

Thanks for any input.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: Brush cutter attachment for string trimmer

If you're talking about a blade that replaces the spool of line, I had one. Pretty useless to me. Your purchase point (handles) are so far away from the blade that there's no control. The first time you touch a woody stalk, watch your toes.

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

I concur with BoatBuoy. The brush cutter for my Sears Crapsman was virtually useless. It wouldn't cut brush that was much bigger than a blade of grass.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I have a Troy-Bilt that has interchangeable heads. I use the brushcutter all the time and it works great. It will cut anything 1" and smaller. I also have a pole saw attachment for it. It takes all of 10 seconds to change from one to the other.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Trimmers that have a bush cutter attachment have longer handles like a bicycle. trimmers that have the small loop handle should not be used with any other attachment.

mscher

Lieutenant

If you're talking about a blade that replaces the spool of line, I had one. Pretty useless to me. Your purchase point (handles) are so far away from the blade that there's no control. The first time you touch a woody stalk, watch your toes.

I have one of these already, that I am reluctant to use, for the reason you have stated.

What I am referring to are trimmers that have a type of "quick connect" about half-way down the shaft.

You basically remove the lower half of the shaft and whatever is permanantly attached at the end, such as the string trimmer, leaf blower, tiny cultivator, or a heavy looking brush cutter, which has a 4-sided blade, or one that looks similar to a circular saw blade.

I'm not looking to clear really heavy brush. Mostly thick weeds and rasberry bush stalks.

Thanks

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

What I am referring to are trimmers that have a type of "quick connect" about half-way down the shaft.

That's what mine is...

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have a ryobi with the string trimmer, blower and hedge trimmer attachments..the only one thats sorta useless is the blower...other wise the hedge trimmer and string trimmer work great...the only thing bad i could say is that the hedge trimmer attachment gets a little heavy...i cut bushes that start at about 4 ft then get to 7ft..holding the entire thing up in the air gets heavy....or i'm just weak!!

i386

Captain

Everyone I've ever heard talk about a brush cutter working well was using it on a "professional" model trimmer. Husqvarna (sp?), Echo, or Stihl for example. I think they need torque and not just RPMs to work well. The guy that owns the local Yamaha/Snapper/Stihl swears by his. It's a STIHL I think. I was told putting one of those blades on my $99 Homelite would be an exercise in futility.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have a straight shaft toro that accepts interchangeable attachments. The best attachment is the short chain saw and it works great. It takes out anything the string trimmer will not. Then it happened.......:eek: I had a friend lend me his 5 speed DR brush cutter. WOW not only will it leave an impressive path of destruction..... but it chops it to shreds too:D

Want to save your back? Rent one of those. It was faster and far more efficient.

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got a troy built with attachments that hook up in the middle of the shaft. It has the pull assist and cranks on the 1st or 2nd pull every time. I have the trimmer and leaf blower attachments and both work excellent. The leaf blower has two nozzles, one for wide areas and one for maximum force. The smaller high force nozzle will even move wet leaves pretty well. Works great for blowing leaves off the boat/driveway/decks when company is on the way! As for the brush cutter attachment I have a blade that goes on where the trimmer head goes but i've never used it.

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

For brush, I've found nothing better than the Bush Hog. It is a little heavy, around 1000#, but fits perfectly on the back of a 3-point hitch. :D

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

We have one of the heavier model, straight shaft STIHL string trimmers. Great trimmer. Same for their larger chain saws. But, we don't use crap like edgers and all (if we really feel like edging it, just turn it 90 degrees - normally we have made an accomplishment if we actually mow the yard:D)
But, what we use that for most, is with the blade on it. Looks like a table saw blade. Advertised to cut something like 2 1/2 or 3 inch trees, and it actually does it, and well. Use it for cutting those 5 and 6 inch diameter vines that tangle up in a chain saw, for leveling a whole field of boxwood, and various other sapling removal. If you have to do a bunch of clearing, for bushes and brush, I would definitely recommend it.

BTW, we used to have the 99 dollar homelite string trimmer, and matching chain saw. Doesn't work well for light farm work, where there were porch posts, and fences to weedeat, and constant trees to cut down, and clean up, as for about 5 years, our only source of heat, was a wood burning stove.

turfman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have used these types on occasion. But our weed wackers are all over 30cc. Most of the stuff that the box stores sell isn't capable of this kinda load. Even if they were up to it, they won't last long. My father in law bought one of those DR string trimmers that you push. I have to say its scary how well it works.

turfman