Will this tach work

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My Tach needle does not drop below 5500 rpms when I turn the boat off. It does not have a calibration adjustment that I can find and it is a turned to 6P setting. The wiring harness has grey, black, and purple wires going to the tach.

I also have a like new Yamaha Tach that has a 6P setting, but the wires going to it are green, black, and yellow. Is there any reason this tach will not work with my 1996 60HP Evinrude(Red Plug)? If it will work can anyone tell me which wires are which? I assume that the black is a ground, but I am not sure whch one would be pulse and which one is switched power.

Thanks

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Will this tach work

the needle will float randomly with no power applied, should move to zero with the key on........assuming that's what you mean, what's it do when the engine's running? bad tach is a symptom of bad rectifier, means your battery's not charging. engine at idle, you should read at least 3.5 VAC from SND to GND. are the posts on the new tach not marked? sorry, don't know Yammy wiring color scheme but it ought to work - trial & error ought to get ya there.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Will this tach work

Right now the tach is just sitting at 5500 rpm even with the engine turned on. The engine seems to be charging fine. I just switched this engine to the boat and wired the tach in. The Yamaha tach does not have the post marked just the three wires comming out the back of the tach with bullet connectors.

When I turned on the ignition initially the tach went from 5000 to 5500 where it seems stuck. I will try to play with it some more today. Thanks for your help I will check the voltage on it.