mail tampering

ob

Admiral
Wanted to post this topic and ask if anyone has ever noticed that their mail has been obviously tampered with.It seems many times when we recieve mail that is in the form of a birthday card envelope,Christmas cards,or even local auto dealer key giveaway promotions,the envelope is torn at the corner as if someone peered into it or has outright had the envelope flap detached (not unglued).A couple of times over the years we have contacted the local postmaster only to get the same conventional response that the letter may have been damaged in one of the sorting machines. When I ask why is it that in almost every case of this ,the letter envolved appears to be a birthday card and the like ,the response I get is "We just don't know."<br /><br />This subject is one that has been brought to light several times over the years as television news topics and was just wondering how many of the members here at iboats have experienced this.<br /><br />Just for the record in my case,we have community mailboxes in our neighborhood that each resident has his own key to open.Therefore the sender ,the recipient ,and the post office are the only likely people to have come in contact with the parcel.Thanks for any feedback in advance.

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: mail tampering

I have had problems of the same sort. My telephone bill was "lost" every month. It was due on the 10th and I would get it in on the 14th or so. It was always postmarked this way too. A couple of times it was double post marked and it was 13 days difference between the two dates.

Rickfifty

Seaman

I've been a mailman for 10 years and have had hundreds, maybe thousands, of unsealed letters come through my hands. It can happen a number of ways. I pick up "outgoing" mail that has never been sealed. I'm not licking the envelopes! I just send them on. When we are sorting by hand one letter might slide right next to another and basically open it some or all the way. And of course the machines do it also. Based on the volume of mail, theft is very rare. Sorry to hear you're having a problem. Keep reporting it, in writing. Ask for a complaint form. It will go higher up the chain than just a phone call to your local office.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

We have had the same problem very frequently.It mostly happens with greeting cards of sorts.We used to send money or checks to my daughter who is still abroad.More often than not the cards would arrive minus the money or checks.We did a checkup by sending letters through friends from different areas of the country .The mishaps happened mostly when letters traveled through New York City.Registered mail dissappeared altogether a few times.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes it goes on and when it is a greeting card looking envelope, count on it.<br />There are thieves everywhere. Even at the postal service.<br /><br />But you can't prove who or where they are opened.<br />I always send greeting cards with a note, "Not this time sucker"<br />The card gets there, but without the note.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

A few years back the Postmaster in Richwood OH (just N of me), a seemingly really nice old lady, was busted for stealing cash from birthday/Xmas/whatever cards. The old bat had been doing it to her friends and neighbors for years and was still able to face them everyday.<br />She would open promising envelopes and if no cash inside just pitch them.