2002 Mercury 50hp stalling @idle

jerseydevil

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 3-cyl 50hp Mercury that was running great all summer. Went to go out duck hunting and ran it up the night before and it starts and runs with the choke/fast idle set up but after it warms up and I set the fast idle lever to normal in the neutral position it stalls out and doesn't want to stay running. I cleaned out the fuel filter,fuel pump, checked the enrichment solenoid valve and the gas tank,fuel line,primer bulb and all are ok. I even got fresh gas and changed the spark plugs too. I have been using stabilizer in all my gas even before the ethanol and never had a problem. I also check the CDMs for all 3 cylinders and they are good too? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

domains

Banned
Re: 2002 Mercury 50hp stalling @idle

Sounds like your carb float is stuck ,take it apart and clean it ..if the needle tip is made of rubber just replace it .if not you must replace both valve and needle .

unscrew carb drain tap softly on carb to unstick it for a test. gravity in carb with no gas in carb will unjam it. if thats your prob.

jerseydevil

Seaman Apprentice

doms
You've nailed it right on the head. 2 out of the 3 floats we're stuck. I unscrewed the plugs and gas ran out of the top carb and not the middle or the bottom carb. Took the carbs off and cleaned them up. Ran ok but a little rough. I'm going to rebuild them but unfortunately they don't sell the needle valves separate from the rebuild kits which are $31.92 each. Ah the joys of owning a boat huh? Thanks for the tip.:)

domains

Banned

If needle tip is made of rubber ,you can bring them to a bike shop and match them .only a few brands or types . only if there the same . i got a johnson that had same needle as a honda.

glad you got it fixed.