outdrive woes

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I can't get this bad boy on. I have it aligned and the spine is going into tthe coupler but it wont go the last 2 inches in ... any advise?

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: outdrive woes

What type of outdrive? If its an Alpha1 make sure you have the shifter in forward if I remember correctly, and make sure the shift pawl is lining up.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you are missing by 2 inches, then the alignment is off.
Did you check the alignment with an actual alignment bar????

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry this is on a 1983 mercruiser 260 outdrive... pre alpha. It is not missing by two inches it will all but and inch or two in. I can see the spine start to enter the couple but cant push it forward anymore. I used an alignment bar to align this and it goes all the way in. Also I can put it off either this thing is stuck. I was considering tieing it to my truck and "towing it off" but ... hehehe

alaska_av8r

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take it back off, then check the shaft itself, if it has any corrosion/rust/nicks this may stop it from going back in...you may have to lightly sand the drive shaft down a bit (i.e. clean it up) then lightly lubricate it.

But as Don says, make sure it is aligned correctly or all the sanding and wishing in the world won't work, there is a link here somewhere that describes the alignment process in detail (rotate 90 degrees etc).

here is the text from a previous post concerning alignment...

First, you have to remember that the engine is mounted to Wood and Fiberglass stringers. The motor mounts will settle and NOT evenly.... The power and torque from the engine is always working in one direction pulling up on one side and pushing down on the other....( Down on Port and Up on Starboard) In my case the Port side of the engine was setting down further than the Starboard side. I discovered this by taking multiple measurements from the stringers to a common point on the engine mounts. I was also able to verify the tilt by setting the boat up on the trailer and leveling the transom out. Then placing a level across the valve covers. It was settled down by a quarter inch. Apparently the front of the engine was tilting downwards more on one side than the other..

I haven't made any adjustment just yet. I just wanted to confirm the original postion of the engine. I don't believe anyone of the mechanics had ever adjusted the mounts because the factory paint was still on the threads when I tried to loosen them. ( Tells you something about those mechanics doesn't it?).

I then purchased an alignment tool. It's well worth the investment. At the least borrow one if you have to. ( Note: that the Gimbal Bearing SWIVELS and the tool can be inserted 1/2 way and swiveled until it seats into the coupler.) I installed the tool and it didn't want to go into the coupler at all. I spread some grease on it and installed it again. Then when removing it you can see where the disturbed grease ends. I was falling short of seating the end by about 1/2 inch. This is a problem...... When I finished the following adjustments it went ALL the way in completely and effortlessly.

Now, I started by adjusting the engine mounts and leveling it across the valve covers. Then lifting the engine evenly on both engine mounts upwards about 3 turns on the nuts. The alignment tool was binding pretty good now. I worked in 1 turn increments downwards until the tool was sliding in and out easily. Then I continued downwards until it started to bind again. I found that took about 6 turns in total. then I divided that in half and turned them back up 3 turns. Then I rotated the engine and repeated the centering process again. It took a little while but was worth the effort. The tool slides in and out and turns easily. I rotated the engine 90 degrees several times and the result are the same. No binding.

When I installed the outdrive it literally fell into position and was easy to push into place. I tightened the nuts evenly and torqued them to spec. Using a Crisscross pattern.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the alignment bar goes in with no problems.... It slides right in... The shaft on the other hand is at the coupler but wont push in. I did not grease it so i will try that today

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

Have you tried giving it a kick? If you are 1 or 2 inches from being on, that is the point where the O-rings on the drive shaft start to go through the Gimbal bearing, you often need to give a kick to help persuade them to pass through the gimbal bearing.. Just make sure you have the shift shaft aligned with the pawl before you kick!!

Gary

JustJason

Vice Admiral

krisnowicki said:
the alignment bar goes in with no problems.... It slides right in...

can you slide it all the way in using just 2 fingers and your thumb? or does it require a "push" to go in? once it is can you spin it 360 degrees in both directions without a hint of resistance?