1982 Merc. IL 6 90hp carbs

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
when priming, bulb won't come hard. carb on #5 &6 leaks gas out of over flow. Carbs are numbered 1 to 3 #1 is on 5&6 intake #3 is on 1&2 intake. Has someone put the carbs on in wrong order? It is very difficult to cold start. After warmed up it runs great and starts first try. I am guessing the brass jet on the top of the carb is an overflow port. Can some one help me? I am first time on this forum and posted this ? the day I signed up but do not see it on the forum. perhaps I posted too soon after registering. Thank you for your help. Bob

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 Merc. IL 6 90hp carbs

Bob, That brass jet is likely a "backdraft jet", however it doesn't matter for solving your problem. On the carb that overflows, either your inlet needle is not seating properly, or the float is defective or both. The fix it to remove the carb bowl cover and inspect or replace the needle, seat and or float. A manual will help with all these things.

On that motor, the carbs are nearly identical. The top carb has a fork installed on the throttle plate shaft. The mid and bottom carbs have couplings between them. The carbs may have different main jets and idle needles, so don't mix 'em up. I am not sure where you got your numbering scheme of 1-2-3, however.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1982 Merc. IL 6 90hp carbs

Thanks for your help. the carbs have a # on the top of bowl cover 6 cyl 3carbs. :redface: