black, oily spark plugs

bookryan

Recruit
I pulled the plugs on my '71 Merc 650 and the ends are all black and oily. Is that right?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: black, oily spark plugs

Time for a new set.

If they are not too old then it is also time to clean the carbs

bookryan

Recruit

Thanks for your response.
The plugs aren't charred black or anything. They're just covered with a thin, wet, black, oily residue that easily wipes off. Still think its just bad plugs?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Ryan, Those plugs could be normal. The gapless plugs last a long time. As long as they fire consistantly, I would leave them alone.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Surface gap plugs develop track marks the first time out (BTDT).....one reason I don't like them, but I ran a set in a '89 115 tower of power for 7 years with no problems.....course with 6 cyl I could have lost one and would not have known it.....possibly.....but the WOT on that rig was 6k and if one were loafing I'd know it.

Think about this: How do you shut down the engine? You switch off the ignition. Does the engine stop immediately? No! It takes a few revs for it to stop turning over. Well, the fuel/air system is still active and with no spark, guess what? The plugs are always wet and oily when you inspect them, unless you pull them immediately after a high speed run and the heat of the plug evaporates most of the moisture off them by the time you can get them out.

My 2c,

Mark

MercFan

Petty Officer 1st Class

bookryan, your driving style and application has a lot to do with it. Do you putter along most of the time, or WOT? Do you run for extended peroids or do you shut down and start up often? I spend most of my time on plane between 60-100% throttle, and I only start-up/shut-down 4-5 times in a whole day. I also run a decent grade of 2 stroke (not full synthetic though), with TCW3 rating. I know from the couple of 2 stroke motor cycles that I've owned that the really cheap 2 stroke oils leave more deposists than the better brands/ratings.

But since you can just wipe them off, and you have no performance, rough running, stumbling complaints, you're fine.

j_martin

Admiral

I'd be concerned if I pulled my plugs and there wasn't a little oil on them.

John

gidds

Seaman Apprentice

Bookryan....

Not to hijack but...

I took this picture last night. Cyl 2 and 4 had oil on them. The others were mixes condition.....sorry for the bad pic but do these tell you anything about my condition........checked compression and got 115,125,125,117,125,120....

Thanks
PA170156.JPG

j_martin

Admiral

1 and 6 are dangerously lean, 2 and 4 are rich. It's carb time for sure.

hope it helps
John

gidds

Seaman Apprentice

1 and 6 are dangerously lean, 2 and 4 are rich. It's carb time for sure.

hope it helps
John

John.....

do you mean rebuild, cleaning, adjusting or all????? Also, is 3 and 5 the way they are supposed to look?

Thanks

MercFan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does 6 even fire ever? -> Check with timing light.
Check compression on all 6 cylinders.
I'd do all the suggested. Rebuild, clean, adjust from scratch (link&sync check faq section)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gidds, Is that an inline six or V6 motor? If it's an inline, #6 looks like water injestion, and the rest don't look too good either. On an inline, cylinders 2,4,6 should run a bit richer than 1,3,5 but yours show a lot of difference. I would cleanup the carbs and make sure the floats are set correctly. Maybe they are flooding a bit.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

71 Merc 650 translates to I6 "tower of power".