Towing something other than a boat

thenotsofreeboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Okay here is the deal i need to rent a skid steer for my massive landscaping project i have going on. I need to rent a machine that weights 6300 LBS I am pretty sure my truck can not do that. Here are the numbers that i have for the truck I am not sure what they all mean but here goes:

GVWR 6100/2761
Rear 3550/1810 Front 3190/1447

Does this mean i can tow 6100 lbs? Or does it mean i can tow (6100-2761) 3339 lbs?

So if i can tow 6100 pounds (hold off and the beat down, I know not to ever do this any other time) would it be alright if i rent this machine and tow it about 2-3 miles with the truck (really close to rental place and all 35mph). They even though are close they want another $150 for deliver and pick up.

They will not allow me to drive the machine down the road either that was my first thought.

For some reason i can not wrap my mind around this I have read the posts and still am not getting it. So can someone help me out with this?

Thank you

tommays

Admiral
Re: Towing something other than a boat

It would be easy if you just tell what truck you have ;)

But the skid and trailer are gona be and easy 8000# so you better have a beefy truck :eek:

Tommays

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

GVW = Gross Vehicle Weight which quite simply means the empty weight of the vehicle plus anything you put into it (including the trailer tongue weight) cannot exceed 6100 pounds. Your truck very likely weights something over 4500 pounds EMPTY. That means you can put 1600 pounds in the bed. Or if a trailer has 300# of tongue weight, you can put 1300 in the bed. Now then, depending on the engine, chassis (1500, 2500, 3500 series), axle ratio, and transmission, the factory issues a trailer tow rating. If the GVW on your truck is only 6100 pounds give me a call before you attempt to tow 8000 pounds so I can get off the road. There is another rating (GCW) which is the Gross Combination Weight of the tow vehicle and trailer and anything you put in the truck including people. Tell us what truck you have, what series, and what engine and axle ratio you have. At 8000 pounds, you will have about 800 pounds of tongue weight so most dead weight hitches will not handle that load. You will likely need a frame mounted receiver hitch and associated weight distributing spring bars and ball mount.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Most rental places are savvy enough to know when you show up with an underrated vehicle or hitch, they won't let you hook up and leave. They assume some liability and so are very cautious. Before you waste a day trying, you might want to give them a call with your truck make/model and hitch setup to see if they will let you go with it.

rndn

Commander

Pay the pickup and delivery fee.

thenotsofreeboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well guys after thinking about it for more than 5 minutes, then reading your posts when I got home. My hitch isn't even approved for the weight I would need something like a class IV or V. So I think i will pay the fee for them to deliver it. i guess considering the price of rental it is a drop in the bucket to not harm the truck or someone else.

Thanks for the advise, I am not sure what the hell i was thinking at work. i overlooked the trailer weight and also the fact that my hitch can only have 500 pounds tongue weight.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

if its only 2-3 miles maby they will let you just drive it to your house from the rental place