Throttle only problem on command 2000

thehawdis

Recruit
I'm having the same trouble a lot of people have had with the 80's era quicksilver command 2000 control box and the "throttle only" button not having any effect. I have tried wiggling the handle and trying to get the button to go in but nothing happens. It is like something is blocking it. I have read through every thread I could find on the forum with no definitive solution short of dismantling the whole unit.

As far as the repair kit goes from mercury, do I have to buy the whole kit? Part number 85882A1.

Does anyone have any more simple suggestions? I have tried spraying WD40 in with the button off but that didn't do anything. I am setting up a new old motor (1991 Mariner 75HP) so I can take the control box off and work with it off the boat.

Thanks for any help.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Throttle only problem on command 2000

I have a 3000 which may just be a 2000 year model version of yours. It has a large black button for fast idle. I bought the boat used a couple of years ago. It didn't work.

I tried to dismantle it but to do that you have to put the throttle at the WOT position (fully forward) and look under the lever handle and there is a hex Allen setscrew there that holds the handle onto the control shaft the unit. Once the handle is off, you can remove the insert covering the unit (the whole plastic cover with the numbers and all.....held in place with tabs at top and bottom....just prise out with a knife). You will then have access to the heads of the bolts which mount it to the mounting surface of the boat. Once off the boat you can unscrew the rear cover and access what you want.

I couldn't get the hex allen off this one, so I couldn't completely remove it as I had done with others. I was able to prise up the outer corners of the insert enough to get at the heads of the screws and loosen them somewhat.

I then squirted white pressurized (rattle can) spray grease all over everything that I could get the nozzle into.

After that I was able to pull the handle to the full rear position of N gear (there is some slop in the handle) while simultaneously depressing the button and got it to go in and function.

Now that I have it loosened up it is much easier to operate.

HTH

Mark