Help ! Mixed 4 stroke oil in Gas Tank

quebec#1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know its a stupid mistake ! I mixed about a quart of four stroke oil into my intergrated tank in the front of the boat, its about a 16 gallon tank. I cant access it and the filler tube wont accept a siphon hose.
I mixed up the oil containers because they look so dam alike.
My tank is nearly empty, if i add another quart of the proper stuff and top off the tank with gas will it harm my two stroke 1986 merc 115 ?
Thanks for anyones help !

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Help ! Mixed 4 stroke oil in Gas Tank

I wouldn't do it. It just ain't the same oil.

Why don't you disconnect the bayonet from the motor, wrench the bayonet off the fuel line, and pump the gallon or so of mistake out into a container using the primer bulb. Then put it back together and start over on the fuel.

Do that very often and you'll have forearms like Popeye.

hope it helps
John

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

If you are talking a quart to a basically empty 16 gallon tank..just do the proper 2 stroke oil add at 50-1..fill it.. and fergedaboutit...might smoke a bit more...when ya burn out 5 gallons, do another 5 gal gas/ 2stroke mix, repeat, and go have fun...oil will mix just fine (did OK in the old 50's motors, and I still have a few great runners in the shop, that went from 16-1 Dino oil, to 25-1 TCW3...and would probably work at 50-1..
Don't lose sleep over it...

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I wouldn't do it. It just ain't the same oil./quote]

Well it more or less is...the reg oil simple does not have the additives for less smoking, and coking of the rings...it will still work just fine in this case..

quebec#1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't do it. It just ain't the same oil.

Why don't you disconnect the bayonet from the motor, wrench the bayonet off the fuel line, and pump the gallon or so of mistake out into a container using the primer bulb. Then put it back together and start over on the fuel.

Do that very often and you'll have forearms like Popeye.

hope it helps
John

I did just that ! I used the primer bulb and got out about 2 gallon's of gas out and now the tank is pretty much empty. I added the proper two stroke oil and will fill the tank right up tomorrow.
Thanks Guys !

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have access to a compressor block off the vent and stick a hose dowm the filler nect with a rag around it and blow the gas out of the tank through the hose. Be sure to lower the compressor pressure and do it in spurts or you can rupture your tank. OR if you just want to look like Popeye carry on

j_martin

Admiral

Sometimes the simple little bit of hard work approach gits er done.

gss036

Commander

[I did just that ! I used the primer bulb and got out about 2 gallon's of gas out and now the tank is pretty much empty. I added the proper two stroke oil and will fill the tank right up tomorrow.
Thanks Guys ! ] That will work just fine, be carful next time.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hey Scatty, I remember those days. Grin

Also remember my first pint can of real 2 cycle oil. It was Amalie in a red can.

Mark

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Hey Scatty, I remember those days. Grin

Also remember my first pint can of real 2 cycle oil. It was Amalie in a red can.

Mark
Wish I would have saved a 6 Pack of 16oz Merc oil from years ago...burned a LOT of that in the mids 70's in my XS150 Merc...look good sitting on my "old stuff" collecter shelves! Guy here has some VERY early Rude 2S oil in cans on C/L for $10 a can!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Was going to say those were the "Good Old Days".......naw, I'll take today; don't want to have to go thru all that (life) again. Besides, was just thinking yesterday, with winter coming on, no more GM Quadrajet fast idle racing the engine and stinking the place up....horrah for fuel injection (on a mass scale).

Mark