How much should I budget for winterizing?

jamez

Cadet
How much should I plan on spending to winterize my 1974 Glassmaster with a 140HP OMC I/O motor?

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: How much should I budget for winterizing?

planning on doing it yourself or paying someone?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Also, where are you, labor rates vary greatly.

jamez

Cadet

I live in southwest missouri, and will probably pay someone to do it.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

The number I hear thrown around here is $250- $300 for winterizing. Not sure about your neck of the woods. Keep in mind thats just for the bare bones, draining, changing fluids, and fogging... Not dropping the drive and the likes of that.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

That's kind of like asking how much to get my car serviced, it really depends.

I go to a small shop that does an excellent job for me. This year was $226.80. Includes Winterization, Fogging, Engine Oil/Filter, Gear Lube, pulling the outdrive and greasing. Fuel Stabilizer. All Mercruiser products.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

The above prices are about as good as your gonna get, without calling a few local shops and asking them. You need to also ask WHEN they can do it, as many will be swamped right now. They may also want you to drop it off and leave it with them, so they can "squeeze it in" between other jobs. If you do this, then you MUST drain the raw water from the system beforehand. If it takes 2-3 weeks before they get to it, that leaves a lot of room for one good cold snap and a cracked block.

MercMonster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have to be in line pretty early here too. If I had waited until now to get on the list, I would have been out of luck. Those seem like decent prices to me also.

Logan

Seaman Apprentice

last year I had the local mechanic come out and do the winterizing in my boat house and he charged me 60.00 to drain, fog,anti freeze and put stabilizer in plus 30.00 travel. I changed the oil myself for less than a 100.00 including oil and filter. So I was around 190.00

Ps. I'm in Canada

dbaggette

Cadet

In St. Louis...Just had my 5.7L mercruiser done. Oil/filter, fogging, stabilizer, antifreeze, lower unit oil. $100. This was done by a mechanic working out of his house. Dealers/marina's wanted $175-$225.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just spent $103 on (all merc) 5 quarts of dino oil, new oil filter, new fuel filter/water separator, grease, fuel stabilizer, fogging oil, 2 quarts of hi performance gear lube and the lube pump. I still have to hit Wally world for some rv/boat antifreeze. I am sure paying top price for all this stuff, but given that this is my first year with this boat, I couldn't let the dealer do it. Too much fun to be had doing it myself.

wallydc2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with sickwilly, get a manual and do it yourself. I spent right at a $70.00 for everything (purchased early spring every year NOT during winterization season), it took about a day and 1/2 including waxing and repacking bearings all myself. For rv antifreeze usually you can get good quality stuff at wally world on sale for $1.86 a gallon in the fall. One more key is buy your oil in bulk for at least 2 seasons ahead it is cheaper that way. Most dealerships will fill your personal container with the correct oil ALOT cheaper than buying it per quart, at least they do here in Springfield IL. And don't wait until winterization season is upon you to buy the stuff you need (besides antifreeze, cheaper in the fall) merchants know that they can empty your pockets if your desperate. Purchase the materials you need in the early spring most sellers are trying to get rid of surplus. Timing can save you a ton of money.