What is this running down my leg??

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oohh, that title doesn't sound good.......
This is for a 91 V4. After the last trip, parked the boat with the leg down to the vertical position. The next day I notice a gunky (oil/gas) mixture running down the leg. The same thing happened after I had the motor running and fogged it for winter storage.
It was coming from under the main engine cowling, where it bolts onto the leg. Under the hood, it is quite clean, even with minimal residue from a typical 2-stroke. There are no apparent leaks.
It's not straight oil/fuel since it slowly seeps down. Looks like unburned exhaust.
Any idea where or what would cause this?

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What is this running down my leg??

its just what you said gas & oil probaly should do a decarb

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, gas/oil residue. The decarb instructions are in the engine FAQ's.

Take a look at the back of the engine, under the cowl. There is a bubble shaped plate between the cylinder heads. The bottom bolts may be loose.

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did check that plate between the heads and there were a few loose screws. Can I assume that plate covers the area where all the exhaust comes out of the cylinders? Hopefully that's the problem. I'll have to check that cover better next spring.
I would like to do it now, but the engine is fogged and the boat put into storage.
So the leak I can handle, but is that normal after regular running?? I would have noticed when i loaded the boat on the trailer. It didn't show up until a day later.
I can understand the excess after fogging.
Also, here's a pic after it was fogged.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• DSC01474.JPG
    DSC01474.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 0

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, that plate covers the exhaust collector. You really had a bunch of gunk in there. You'll see more before it's all burned out.

Here's a tip. To get to those bolts, remove the band between the lower cowl and the mid section or leg. There are four bolts that face forward. To get to the exhaust plate bolts, it's a lot easier if you loosen the lower cowl bolts, I believe there are four or five that point down from the engine block to the cowl pan. That will allow you to drop that cowl about 2".