Outdrive/ Gimbal leaking water

D42ON

Cadet
I took my boat out yesterday for the first time. Water started pouring in threw the gimbal. Is there anyway I can check to see where it's coming from before I take the outdrive off? Do any of you know of any good sites with mecruiser outdrive and gimbal rebuild kits and diagrams. Thanks.....

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Outdrive/ Gimbal leaking water

Chances are your drive shaft bellow is split.. If water is pouring in then the split will be quite large and you should be able to see it easily. remove the outdrive and look inside to check the bellows.

Gary

QC

Supreme Mariner

What he ^^^^^ said.

stem to stern dot com has good parts diagrams

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Pull the drive & pump some grease in the bearings to push the water out of them, asap......
My guess is that your bellows is shot.....;)

D42ON

Cadet

Do I need an align tool for the outdrive when I put it back on?

I seen a gimbal kit on a site for like $104 I'm just going to get that so I know it's all done and been changed. Any more advice of what I should change when I have the outdrive unit off?

The steering alos felt hard to move from left to right but I figured it was because of the water getting in there. Do you think it might have gotten water in something that needs to be changed?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Do I need an align tool for the outdrive when I put it back on?

I seen a gimbal kit on a site for like $104 I'm just going to get that so I know it's all done and been changed. Any more advice of what I should change when I have the outdrive unit off?

The steering alos felt hard to move from left to right but I figured it was because of the water getting in there. Do you think it might have gotten water in something that needs to be changed?
You need the alignment tool to make sure the engine is properly aligned.....
You don't need it to put the drive on, but you should check it.....;)

Bondo

Staff member

Any more advice of what I should change when I have the outdrive unit off?

Ayuh,......... All of the Rubber Parts,+ the Lower Shift Cable.......
The trim,+ tilt sensor/ sending units ISE..........
:rolleyes:

If you Replace the Gimbel Bearing,....... You'll be Needing that Alignment Bar.....

QC

Supreme Mariner

If you Replace the Gimbel Bearing,....... You'll be Needing that Alignment Bar.....
And a puller for the bearing and the pivot pin tool and the bearing installer and the seal installer and the bellows expander . . .