Testing choke solenoid

mattdd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there a way to test if my automatic choke solenoid is functional. Its not working, but I?m not sure if it is broken or if its just not wired correctly. The plunger moves freely, and the connections look good.

mattdd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Testing choke solenoid

just put the choke solenoid on 12v and it's functional. so whats the next thing to test? it must go to a temp sending unit or something, but i'm not confident where thats at, and how would i test it? thanks

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you did not mention ob make model year hp. But most choke solenoid coils are opened and closed by a momentary push-in switch ...located within the ignition switch or elsewhere. When it is pushed in the contacts make the positive + circuit to the solenoid coil and in turn energized the 12 volt coil. releasing the switch drops out the coil. Usually the negative side of the coil is directly connected to the neg. side of the motor neg or some connect to a jumper to the ob engine ground.
Suggest you trace the two wires from the coil to see where they connect. then once you know which wire is + and - then determine with a voltmeter where the voltage is present in the solenoid circuit...and contnue until you find the point at which it is not. I would check the plug in connections first for good connections. Then the push-in switch.

mattdd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1986 Yamaha 90hp. the ground is ground to the block, but the positive wire gets buried behind the coils and all the other wires in the area.

so its not just closing based on engine temp? it only closes while you are starting? so to test do i pull the plug wires and crank the engine, and then test volts?

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1986 Yamaha 90hp. the ground is ground to the block, but the positive wire gets buried behind the coils and all the other wires in the area.

so its not just closing based on engine temp NO? it only closes while you are starting NO. PUSHING IN ON THE IGNITION SWITCH WITH SWITCH ON. so to test do i pull the plug wires and crank the engine NO, and then test volts NO?

Have you ever even choked the engine carbs solenoid by how I described to do above? Turn ignition switch on and then depress switch...choke solenoid should energize pulling pluger/linkage to close carb choke plates.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

There was no automatic function on that model. Hpalong has described the function of activation. It is only on when the switch is pushed.

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad we could help. Have you tried to find a manual for the Yamaha? They are available at many marine stores. Also I believe a Yamaha dealer should have the "operators user manual" for that outboard. Both manuals make for easier understanding of the operation of the motor as well as descriptive information for maintenance and repair. I for one would not be without the manuals.
Meanwhile we will try to answer other questions you may have. Hope you get the motor were you can use and enjoy it.