Little water presure?

arnieb

Seaman Apprentice
Hello group,

I just bought a Skeeter with a 1988 135 Mariner marathon engine. I've owned a number of boats in the past but have not done much work to the engines strapped to them.

The concern I have is the low water pressure that comes out of the pee hole, lol not the right name but you know what I mean. When running the engine on the muffs the water takes about 30 sec to start running out of the hole. Its not a steady stream like the last engines I've had, more of a dribble. The water pressure gauge on the dash reads around 6-7. It rises with a little more throttle.

I will be changing the impeller and look at the poppet valve. But I will have to do this in the spring, as the temps here in Canada are getting cold. Its time to pack the boat up for the winter without being able to take it out in the water for the first time! It also does not help I drove 2000 miles to get this boat. My wife thinks so what wait for spring but I'm a guy and not being able to take the new purchase out before parking it for the 5 months of winter will kill me.

My question is should I bite the bullet and pack it away till I have the cooling system work done? If I take it out in the water is there an alarm if there is a cooling problem? Will it give enough time before any engine damage? I've read some people having a hard time getting a good stream of water out the hole on the larger engines with the muffs on. Not sure if it would be better in the water? The fellow I bought it off said he has had no problems with the engine except having to change the exhaust gasket last spring. He has not changed the impeller and does not know when it was changed last.

I really believe in this forum and if told it would be a good idea to park it till I can go over the cooling system that’s what I would do. If I'm told it should be fine and if there is a problem an alarm will sound before any engine damage happens or I'm just a little skittish about the new boat I would take it out for a short ride and appease the male thing in me.

Thanks for reading this long rambling post. I hope I've not come across like a kid with a new toy, even I know I am ;-)

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Little water presure?

That's pretty normal for that engine. The only water that gets to the "pee" hole is what goes through the thermostats, which is minimal at idle. The other water paths keep it almost cool enough at idle.

Anything off the peg at idle is OK.

hope it helps
John