swap early volvo 350 to later mercruiser 350

ac680

Cadet
I have a 1979 bayliner. with a volvo aq270, engine is bad.

I was offered a 1990 mercruiser 350, with EFI, and roller cam.
Somebody owes me a favor, and he offered me this almost unused engine. ( yah.. good friends)
It has non standard rotation.

I am not swapping sterndrives, and am very capable to make all the electrics and fuel work work.
But, I know a few problems exist, flywheel for sure, maybe drive plate ?
What kind of flywheel could I use ?
Starter too, but that is an easy problem.
I assume water pump and brackets will work.
I can change the revolution direction for the sterndrive easily, does this drive care what direction she turns?

Like some advice.

Henri.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: swap early volvo 350 to later mercruiser 350

a 1990 mercruiser 350, with EFI, and roller cam.
It has non standard rotation.

I'm pretty Sure that this motor Should be a Standard lefthand rotation motor.......
and am very capable to make all the electrics and fuel work work.

The Easiest way to do this is to Remove the Mercruiser Stuff,+ reuse the Volvo Stuff........
But, I know a few problems exist, flywheel for sure, maybe drive plate ?
What kind of flywheel could I use ?
Starter too, but that is an easy problem.

Which Flywheel does the Volvo need to hook up,..??..??....
The Merc. probably has the 14" 1,....And a 12" 1 is going to be Hard to Find for that crankshaft bolt pattern......
And,.....
The Block needs to have the right Holes drilled in it for the Starter that's used with the smaller Flywheel......(straight across bolt pattern)
I assume water pump and brackets will work.

Again,...... There's Alot of "Depends" in that statement, that can be eliminated by Swapping the Volvo Stuff over to the New Motor........

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You really need to stick with the Mercs flywheel. You will have to find a different bellhousing and flex plate for the 14" flywheels.
It will also require a pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft for the shaft in the newer style bellhousing.

Electrically, leave the Merc wiring on the engine and don't mess with it. Nothing from the 270 will work. I am also assuming your Volvo is a V8, but they never had a model number AQ270 for an engine, only an outdrive. And that number was for all 4 cyl, 6 cyl and 8 cylinder engines including diesels.

What is the SN on the Merc engine. Should be a tag on the stbd side just over the starter.

Maclin

Admiral

Maybe it is AQ271. That is the designation my 1991 VP 570 with 290DP is under.

ac680

Cadet

The old "volvo" engine is a 350, 250HP, coupled to an AQ270.

I looked up some things, there is a flywheel that volvo uses on their later 5.7L engines , with a 13.5 Inch diameter, it apparently fits under the older style bellhousing, since the part numbers are the same, the same applies for the coupler plate, and the drive shaft.
An old style flywheel will not work, GM apparently decided with the later style oil seal to balance the crank externally via the flywheel. The older engines are internally balanced, so I clearly need this Volvo flywheel;
Volvo USA does not have one, the part number is 855814.
The fuel injection I like to retain, I like injection, it might increase resale of this boat, if I ever were to sell.
For the starter, I will have to find a later style Volvo starter, but that is not really a problem.

Henri.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

You got wrong information....
GM 5.7's (350's) are ALL internally balanced, 2 piece rear main seal or 1 piece, it doesn't matter.
400's are external.

Don S

I looked up some things, there is a flywheel that volvo uses on their later 5.7L engines , with a 13.5 Inch diameter, it apparently fits under the older style bellhousing, since the part numbers are the same, the same applies for the coupler plate, and the drive shaft.

Don't know where you found all that great information, hope you have fun.
Being a Volvo tech for many years tells me you have a lot of bad info there.

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

I haven't done an MPI swap, but I have done some EFI conversions on trucks. My understanding is that the MPI setups are pretty easy, 4-5 wire, but you may need to look into feeding the fuel system - you'll need a high volume low pressure pump to feed the EFI pump. Fuel systems are non-return types.

Great motors in general.. I love them - mainly due to reliablity and they're easy to drain.

ac680

Cadet

Looks I got more reply than I was expecting.

I am more a Jaguar mechanic than a Chevy one, but I do research, and love boats.
I do own and live on a 57ft chris craft, with a set of 8v71's and work on big diesels, as well as resolve car and boat electrical and FI problems, I happen to like the challenge.
So my idea of a conversion to a later style 350 is more of a challenge..
I got a free engine, so I better make it work, and love input, and need help with parts.
so please...

One quick thing, here is a link for internally and externally balanced cranks for chevy 350's.
http://www.nastyz28.com/sbcmenu.html
Look at the bottom of that page.
There are many more, but as far as I have seen all later one piece seal crank designs, of the HO version, like marine have external balance.
It has to do with lack of weight inside inside the crank.

Now Ron, for practical stuff, I need your input very much.
You know way more than I do about what works, and what not.
Indeed, the flywheel I mentioned is 13.5 inches, but without ring gear.
The complete flywheel is indeed a tad over 14 inches.
and of course my flywheel cover that was on my 270 drive does not have that clearance, the part number on there is indeed not the right one.
I found that mercruiser , as well as Volvo use the same flywheel, per volvo part# 855814, it is apparently the same Gm part.
drive (flex) plate is 855694, which fits on the early and later style flywheel.
Volvo did not change drive when GM changed their Crank, at least not that what what sticks in the water, , but indeed it does require a different flywheel cover.
The Volvo 271 drive has apparently this cover, think it superseded what I have (Volvo 270) with a later style Gm engine.
That flywheel cover part number is 841967.
The drive shafts in them ( 853809) have the same numbers, so I assume they will fit.
I assume I will not have to make a pilot shaft hole.

I will make the FI work electrically. , it is the least of my problems.
Do I need a low pressure feed pump ?
My bottom of my fuel tank is 18 inches below where I intend to mount the Hi pressure pump.

So.. input please, and parts..

Henri.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

One quick thing, here is a link for internally and externally balanced cranks for chevy 350's.
http://www.nastyz28.com/sbcmenu.html
Look at the bottom of that page.
There are many more, but as far as I have seen all later one piece seal crank designs, of the HO version, like marine have external balance.
It has to do with lack of weight inside inside the crank.
Henri.

Again.....all SBC's except 400's (and stroker 383's) are INTERNALLY BALANCED....regardless of what you read on some webpage.

Just because you can Google up some webpages and find some bull**** information doesn't make it true.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.........

With the change to the 1 piece rear main oil seal in 1987,.....
The Crankshaft Bolt Pattern also changed,....And of course the Flywheels that bolt to them......
Even though the Flywheels are in fact balanced quite differently that the previous flywheels,.....
They're Still known as Internally Balanced motors......

Bomar is Right,.......
Only the 400cid,+ the 383cids that are built with the Externally Balanced 400cid Crankshafts are Externally Balanced,.....
Complete with the Heavily offset balanced Flywheel,+ Harmonic Balancer.........
All other SBCs are known as Internally Balanced.........

Also,....................
Chevy has used only 2 different sized Flywheels,.......... The 12",153 tooth,+ the 14", 168 tooth......

If the Block you're trying to use is Only drilled for the Offset Starter Bolt Pattern,........
You Must use the 14" Flywheel.......

If the Block is drilled for Both the Offset,+ Straight Across Bolt Pattern,.....
You could use Either Flywheel.........
If you can find the 12" flywheel that is.......
Otherwise,......
The Only way to drop that motor into your boat, Is to find the Right Flywheel Cover to fit the 14" Flywheel,+ still marry up to your Drive.........

I believe that F_inscreenname just went thru this last Spring.........
Maybe he'll give you alittle Insight.........

f_inscreenname

Commander

Feel my pain and learn from it. http://supernova19.com/motor_build_ii_at_supernova19_com.htm

PS
I'm always available for questions. Just a little busy with the new house (2 weeks in and I don't think the past owner fixed anything since the house was built 8 years ago, $55 in light bulbs alone), internet providers (don't ever try to go from MSN Explorer to E Internet Explorer, MSN keeps your favorites:mad:), websites (mine and like eBay sellers wont even ship things to me because they think I'm scamming them with the new address), work (busy season, up until Christmas), winter is coming (trying to get a chance to use the new boat ramp more then once before its time to put it away, one of the main reasons we moved here) and...........................................

But I do get to go check out my new chainsaw now so it has it's perks.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am going through the same thing right now. I swapped a older 350 an 83' for a new 1999 crusader 350. The old coupler/ flywheek will not fit the new crank shaft pattern. I got a new coupler off ebay ( the tri angular kind) and bolt it and the 14. 1" flywheel on. I had to get a new starter because the fly wheel size difference. So i ordered a new staggard bolt pattern starter and tommorrow I am bolting the feul delivery and exhaust ( new) and the starter and we will see. :) But, when I was bolting the old 83 bellhousing back on the 99 350 bellhousing fit fine, but the back dust cover that attaches to the bellhousing would not fit because of the new starter and bigger fly wheel. But other then that things hav been ok so far.

Don S

krisnowicki
From the flywheel on aft, everything is totally different between your Mercruiser and HIS Volvo Penta.

ac680

Cadet

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/performance_parts/store/catalog/Category.jhtmlCATID=913.html#QRC

It is a gm website, it tells a little about SB flywheels.
The 1986 and up SB requires a counterweighted flywheel, like the old 400's.
In as much one would define it as internally, or externally balanced, maybe its definition, as much as I have been reading about these things, many parts people call them externally balanced, and I have seen some GM parts websites where the same is mentioned.
That does not mean that later engines are external balanced, but it seems parts people mention it, because later flywheels have counterweights.
But parts people are parts people..so I will leave the balance alone..

Apparently there is a flywheel available, Gm part 14088650, that allows to be mounted on a later style crank, but has the older smaller diameter (12"), and 153 teeth.
I need to check if the engine I have has the right holes for the older style starter.

I did check for pilot bearings in the crank.
None are used, as far as I can see the drive shaft does not extend in the crank, but... I could be wrong.

Thanks for all your input.

Don S

Why are you trying so hard to reinvent the wheel.
Get the proper belhousing & flexplate, and everything works just fine.
The next owner of your research is going to have some strong comments when he starts trying to find parts that take days to research.

ac680

Cadet

A few weeks ago I finished my conversion project from last year.
The engine I finally received was a 1999 Volvo TBI 5.7 L.
Came with a 14 inch flywheel. Volvo designates these engines as gen 1 1/2 engine, for good reason, the block has all the old gen1 engine holes in it.
But a 14.1 inch wheel will not fit in my flywheel housing, so.. There was a solution, short of getting a conversion housing, and a new fine spline yoke,etc etc, at a cost of $2000 or so, I found Gm has a flywheel, 14088650, that I got new from a local car dealer for $200. It bolts up to the later style single main seal blocks, and is 12 inch in diameter. I primed and painted it for rust protection.
The old coupler plate, and old starter (straight across pattern) bolted right up, and all went together nicely.
The intake was mounted with a TBI injector assembly. after removing the TBI, and the mounting plate, a really nice 4 barrel mounting surface appeared.
I simply bolted on my q-jet, no issues at all. Still have all the TBI stuff with ignition, so.. its for sale..
Ignition I used from my old volvo 5.7,
I did have some problems with the crank mounted sea water pump, and had to use the new style balancer, with the old style pulley, but had a space issue for the crank bolt underneath the pump drive. I had a washer made.
The other problem I had is with fuel delivery, I had to revert to an electric pump, since the cam in this engine has no fuel pump lobe.

Now, after all is said and done.. it runs, and its awesome.
I went from a 15 inch pitch on the prop to a 19 inch pitch, and pull 4800 RPM. with 15 inch pitch in the past I made 4200 RPM..
The previous block had good compression, but spun a bearing...
Its a 27 ft bayliner, and i went from 23 MPH to 35 mph, gps both ways..
I have no idea what this engine puts out, but with TBI, mounted on a 2 barrel intake plenum, 280Hp per Volvo, and now i am using a 4 barrel carb, possibly 310 Hp or possibly more..
I am running 8 mph more than factory specs when the boat was new.
Hope the sterndrive stays together..
need to look at ignition timing, I have no pinging sounds, but than again, I hate to make a hole in a piston because of overly advanced timing.

Happy.. at the moment..