Floor or Deck???

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class
All,

As a newbie to boats I need a little help understanding the terminology

In my home I stand on a wooden floor, outside my home I stand on a wooden deck.

the difference seems to be internal versus external structures in these cases

What is it in a boat? Deck or Floor?

thanks

bips

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Floor or Deck???

its technically called a deck, and some people get upset around here if you call it a floor, however, many people like myself use both terms

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks vandy

thought I sensed a bit of a issue regarding that

Still wondering why?

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

It depends on who you are talking to. If you're talking to me, you can use either.

If you're talking to someone that speaks "nautical" you'd better use deck.

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

And refering to the blunt end or the pointy end is right out!! :)

Gary

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks

Deck it will be

I almost afraid to ask what a gunwhale (or however it is spelled) is

:):)

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

gunwale are the upper raised sides of a boat like where the cannons would have stuck out in an pirate ship

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the reason is so we are on the same page. everything is considered, that you are at the rear(stern) of the boat, looking toward the front (bow) port is to the left, starboard is to the right. the keel is the center of the bottom(hull) the floor is the deck. this way when we tell you to like at something on the starboard side of the motor, we all know to look the the right side if you are behind the boat.

then we get into engine and motor. i personally think refer to the complete outboard as a motor, but the power head as the engine. on an inboard outboard, engine and outdrive. the gear box at the bottom of the motor, is the foot.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I belonged to the Sea Explorer Scouts (Like BSA but water scouts) where I learned all the nautical terms and learned how to tie and splice line (rope). Has been with me all my life and was a valuable contribution to my education and overall happiness and well being. Every boy should experience scouting.

When I was in high school I spent the summers as a deck hand on tugs that ran barges up and down the gulf coast and up the Mississippi River to Vicksburg.

Really enjoyed showing the "old salts" how to splice line (3") rather than tie a knot in it to make a loop.....looked much better, held better, and threw better.

Mark

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

"All hands on deck" Does that refer to all hands stand up on the "floor"
all all hands on the top most "floor/deck"?It would seem to me that terminology for small boats say 40ft or less would be somewhat different than
larger vessels.For instance to me the deck is the top most portion of the boat where you might have the windshield running lights cleats etc.
Wooden runabouts refered to as raised deck or flush deck.Some refered to as having front deck,split center deck and rear deck.In my area the portion where you stand was not refered to as a deck it seems we just refered to it as a floor.There may have been a specific reference to a floor raised above the bilge so as not to stand on the inside of the actual hull.
On a small boat what is the top of a fixed top or cabin called.The "overhead"?Is the overhead the inside of the roof?the roof assembly or an area above your head for storage?
You see references to being below deck or going below deck I assume that doesn't mean below the "floor" in a small boat.
In a cruiser what is the floor called in the rear portion usually over the engine bay ,where one might sit or fish from?"deck?"What is the forward portion above the front cabin called?"Deck"?What is the area below where you stand in the cabin called?"deck"?To me the the Deck is the top most portion of the boat where depending on the size one might stand,sit or sun bathe.Another term I wonder about?? " I'm going top side"or "he's top side"
I always thought "top sides" was the side of the boat between the water line and the "deck"I've only done my boating on smaller boats 25ft or less
mostly open boats or runabouts;in a pretty specific area in the north east.
So perhaps our terminology is skewed.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Just remembered, the anchor for weedy bottoms is called a grapple anchor.......like a grappling hook having a lot of thin tines made to grab onto whatever it can.

Steel; On the fore deck, the aft deck and all the other decks, you can still stand on them so while you're standing on them couldn't they be referred to as the floor (you're standing on) hence the deck? Grin. (Glad you got your identity back....lost mine once too when they changed software.)

Mark

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Just remembered, the anchor for weedy bottoms is called a grapple anchor.......like a grappling hook having a lot of thin tines made to grab onto whatever it can.

Steel; On the fore deck, the aft deck and all the other decks, you can still stand on them so while you're standing on them couldn't they be referred to as the floor (you're standing on) hence the deck? Grin. (Glad you got your identity back....lost mine once too when they changed software.)

Mark

"Hit the Deck"!Deck the halls.All Decked out.It all "floors"me.
ID problem was a little frustrating figuring out how to contact. (computer challenged)Once I got a hold of someone they were very efficient getting "me" back and combining my split personalty.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

One more term not used yet.
SOLE - Cabin or saloon floor. Also the molded fiberglass deck of a cockpit.