1984 115 hp 1nline 6 MILK IN LOWER UNIT?

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class
this morning i changed out my lower unit oil and it looked like MILK so i tried to flush it out with some 90 weight and put new lower unit oil with 2 new o-rings on the plugs,i went and ran it for a 1/2 hour out in the bay when i got back home and drained it again it again looked like milk,i am getting water in ther some how ,I changed the impeller last month and that went real well no problems at all. i an wondering if i did anything wrong when i changed out the impeller what should my next step be? thanks

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1984 115 hp 1nline 6 MILK IN LOWER UNIT?

do a pressure test on it leave one drain plug in and put between 5&7 psi air in open hole and look and listen if it getting in that quick you should find it with out problem.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

this morning i changed out my lower unit oil and it looked like MILK so i tried to flush it out with some 90 weight and put new lower unit oil with 2 new o-rings on the plugs,i went and ran it for a 1/2 hour out in the bay when i got back home and drained it again it again looked like milk,i am getting water in ther some how ,I changed the impeller last month and that went real well no problems at all. i an wondering if i did anything wrong when i changed out the impeller what should my next step be? thanks

Are the drain and vent plugs on the L/U really designed for O rings, or flat gasket/washers? If not designed for O rings, they will not seal well (Been There, Tried That). Double check on that.

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

sorry about that i meant to say the flat round gaskets,they look like o-rings but are really flat and blue in color,so what i should do is take just the bottom fill screw off only and pump 5-7 lbs of pressure into the lower unit and i should see or hear air escaping ,should the lower unit be full of gear lube or empty or does it matter thanks guys

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Even better is to apply a vacuum to it instead, as a test when empty. What happens when you are on the lake is that the gearbox heats up, then when it cools after running for a while it 'sucks' water in. The fact that you have a milky solution, and you have replaced the gaskets, sounds to me like you have a leaky shaft seal somewhere or a bad water pump gasket.

Attachments

• Image007-640.jpg
    Image007-640.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Cal, Most of the time (IMHO) water enters the gearcase via the driveshaft seal and/or Oring in/on the waterpump base. Especially in the short time you are expericing. Did you put a new oring on teh pump base when you did the waterpump job? If not, you might put on on and inspect the driveshaft seal at the same time.

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

no i did not put an o-ring when i changed the impeller ,that morning when i drained it it was all white colored,so i put in new gear oil and new gaskets on plug and vents,drove it for half hour,and when i drained it again it was still white,i just did a pressure test or what i think is a pressure test
fill a big bucket with water
submerged the lower unit in water
rigged a a 1/4 hose with a fitting to my top vent screw put in about 10 psi and i saw nothing,went to 15 psi and the only air escaping was from the rigging i made at the vent screw i was plastic so it was not on tight
when you say o-ring are you talking about the rubber that slides on the shaft if that's it i did not change it

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

its very possible you got water from plug gaskets if no air leak thats the only thing i can see. try flushing lu with karosene dont try turning over or any thing just put sone in and let sit for a few minuites then drain and refill and try it. make sure to get new gaskets for plugs and tighten good

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

well guys i am leaning toward what AMDRULES mentioned about the water pump gasket,before i changed the impeller only the gear oil was fine,i ran it one time and never checked the oil in the lower unit when i went to run it again i checked the oil thats when i saw the milky oil ,and this all started after i changed the impeller,I don't remember putting on a gasket.Does the gasket go between the stainless steel base of the water pump and the lower unit? also where do i get the pressure tester and vacumm tester .In hindsite i should have bought the entire waterpump kit.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

I'd tend to lean towards an oil seal under the pump (item 18, 19) or the o-ring (item 16). Plug gaskets (Item 47) would generally be a slow leak, and would not cause massive water ingestion in such a short period. Make sure you have a good airtight seal at the plugs, and that the old gasket is not still there, causing you grief. Always use new gaskets, as they are very inexpensive to replace and damage easily.

As you can see there are lots of places water could enter, including the prop shaft seals as well. Find a friend with a vacuum guage, empty the case and see if it will hold a vacuum when connected to a vent/fill connection. If it won't, you can retest for bubbles with a pressure test under water with an empty case and air pressure at 15 psig max (similar to the test you already did).

Good luck.

Attachments

• drive shaft.JPG
    drive shaft.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
  • prop shaft.JPG
    prop shaft.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 0

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks guys i will work on it this friday and get back to you

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok i went and bought the new water pump kit and the upper seal package
I have the lower unit on my bench my problem now is how to take the white plastic seal out do i just slowly pry it out?

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

forget it guys i got it out ,and i cleaned it good now my problem is the rubber ring,in the schematic it shows it to be #34 -ring rubber
now does that go on top of the water pump housing or inside of it .it looks like it will fit. when i took it off it was just laying on top of the water pump housing,but i am not sure if that is correct thanks also am i supposed to grease lightly the inside of the seals with some triple guard grease

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Dog, The Oring goes around the waterpump base round part. It should fit into the groove in the plastic. Choose the fattest oring that you can use and still be able to install the pump base. Your seal kit should have about 5 orings of different diameters. make sure the pump base has the correct gasket, and the SS plate has the correct gasket on both sides. Inspect the driveshaft where the seal rides for grooves and nicks. Inspect the driveshaft seal (inside the pump base) for tears.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Item #34 is just a dust debris shield to protect the lip seal beneath it, and acts as a flinger to eject any leaking water from the pump outwards. It simply slides down the shaft and sits above the water pump. Rotates with the shaft.

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks AMD that clarify's the # 34 rubber rink,Chris are you talking about the # 16 o-ring that goes under the water pump base if so i got that one in
I am also having trouble with the base which houses the seals it is not seating right i am about 1/16 of an inch off the lower unit base I am wondering if when i put on the bolts for the water pump it will tighten it down

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Dog, #16 Oring is the one you need to make sure is the largest that will fit. if the base won't seat, the oring may be a bit too large. When you have identified the correct oring, install it on the base and smear it with grease to help it seal. Also oil or grease up the driveshaft before you install the bump base.

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

well Guys mission complete!
Changed out the seal " had to pry the old one off it seperated from the housing" and put in the new waterpump kit.Took it out yesterday ,ran it for about 5 miles ,got back home and drained the gear oil ,It looks a whole lot better,I have it sittng in a jar in my garage next to the milky white one .although it seems to have no water in it "i will let it sit a couple of days" it is also not the color i expected not quite as dark as the new oil i put in ,so i put in new oil again and will run it one more time during the week and keep you informed i have another ? my old mercury rpm gauge went bad i had a used omc gauge that i put on
will the omc work on a mercury?
and at what setting on the back should it be on for instance #1 #2 #3 etc... right now i have on #5 it is reading 1300 rpm's at idle which i think is wrong and will max out at 6500 rpm which i know is wrong since my top rpm is around 5300 rpm and i have the same controls and prop i have changed nothing but the guage sorry for the long post