Boat leaning to one side while throttling up?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat leaning to one side while throttling up?

Which way does your propeller rotate? Viewed from the stern looking forward.

ruf1967

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sounds like torque from the spinning prop

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

smart tabs should level it out.

MMmmm. No idea which way the prop spins. Guess I'll have to take it to a shop to get looked at. Thanks guys.:cool:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Is your boat on a trailer? You can figure out which way it spins looking at the prop from the stern . . . You a wine drinker? Think of it like a cork screw. Which way would you turn it to go into the cork? That's the way you would turn the propeller to go forward. :D Most single screw boats are right hand rotation, or clockwise as viewed from the stern looking forward. They tend to lean toward the Port side when underway. You're saying that it leans (lists) to Starboard (right) which indicates a possibility that you have a left hand rotation prop. This would be very weird with a sterndrive, but more possible with a V-drive or Direct drive like your boat . . .

salty87

Commander

some supra's from that time have left handed rotations, same with nautique's i think.

a different prop may help. acme's are really nice, lots of wakeboarders use them, 3 blade that pulls as good as 4 blade.

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My boat has been known to do this when getting on plane, can be quite scarey, but i use my trim tabs and it fixes it. do u have trim tabs?

QC

Supreme Mariner

You're doing the right thing. Well your prop turns one way. If it turns left, that would maybe explain why your boat lists to Starboard on acceleration . . . A piece of the puzzle. No, frankly, I have never seen trim tabs on a Tournament hull, I do not agree with Tashasdaddy about Smart Tabs in this case. Helm adjustable tabs would definitely fix the problem, but again I have never seen them on a Tournament boat. Your type of hull has a very flat bottom. There are a few boats out now (Tige comes to mind) that have one large trim tab for digging a big wake. It would not solve the listing. Sooooo, I think we need to spend a little more time fingering this out. One of the reasons that most boats have a right hand rotation prop is that the operators weight is usually on the Starboard side to counteract the prop torque. In the case of your boat, you are possibly getting a double whammy . . . your weight and the left hand rotating prop (if so). If it has a right hand rotation prop then this would be another discussion. My thoughts are that you have a left hand rotating drive and prop. Some props might be better (less tendency to cause the list) as Salty87 noted ^^^^^. Also, I'd look at other things on the boat too. Which side is your battery on? Tools? Stuff? I'd move heavy stuff to Port and light stuff to starboard. I am guessing that you have storage under the passenger (port side) rear facing seat back-rest forward . . . use it. Can you talk with the previous owner? Maybe something he learned to live with? Maybe he changed the trans and that's why it is left hand rotation (if in fact it is). Boats take some noodling. Many variables and lots of little things to know. Also, being a Tournament style boat you might check in on a good Waterski forum, they may be more familiar than this group although the general knowledge here is second to none. Good luck!! Be patient . . .

salty87

Commander

did you take a look at the prop like QC suggested? does it look like it's in good shape, no dings? you might consider taking it to a prop shop and having them check it out. the prop that originally came on my boat had been worked on several times, there was a lot of metal missing. a new prop makes a world of difference compared to an old beat up prop.

i'm not saying that's definitely your issue but you probably want to verify yours is good anyway unless it's obviously in great shape.

your prop should be stamped with size and manufacturer. you'll need that info to talk to shops. the people at acme props (acme marine, google) are very helpful if you give them a call. they're very familiar with tournament inboard props. local shops can be hit or miss unless you're in a big boating (hopefully inboard) market.

Hey Salty. Yeah, I looked at the prop, and didn't notice any real damage. It does look kind of worn. Are they expensive to replace?, and is it easy to replace myself?

Nandy

Commander

Check which way your prop turns, take a picture, get back at us. BTW, changing a prop is easy as long as the prop is not frozen in place, regardless, you are not there yet. Let us help you with the first 2, then we can help you during the next steps.
Happy boating!

j_martin

Admiral

Hey Hard Hat,
How much do you weigh?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Clockwise as viewed from the back? It matters a lot. When it turns (twists) one way, the boat wants to twist the other . . . ;) If it is turning clockwise when viewed fro the rear, that is a right hand prop and your boat should lean to port (left). Yours is leaning to starboard and if you have communicated the prop turn correctly then this is very strange . . .

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I agree on prop rotation and torque, however...
how does the boat sit in the water when it is not moving. Does it list even a little?
the type of list you are talking about may be caused by water in the boat or in the foam! but lets not go there just yet! is it a tournament boat? do you have water ballast tanks to add weight for a larger wake?? a single or double? are they pumped out?

j_martin

Admiral

I guess we're supposed to guess what the trouble is without any real information.

Which way does the prop turn?. If you can't figure it out, take a picture of it and we'll figure it out.

While you're at it, take a picture on the trailer of the engine from the side, trimmed down to about where you would run it. That might help.

John

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Which way does your propeller rotate? Viewed from the stern looking forward.

I'm kind of surprised we asked over 10 days ago about the prop rotation and still don't have any info.Kind of critical piece of info.If it's right hand rotation
there is something unusual going on.