Eggplant Recipe?

18rabbit

Captain
Wanted: an eggplant recipes to die for*. I like eggplant but never really took the time to learn to cook it, always ate it prepared by someone else.<br /><br />*Note: I will not be dying for the recipe…please offer it freely. :)

ndemge

Commander
Re: Eggplant Recipe?

I just peel, cut in slices and pan fry in olive oil. ... cut about 1/4" thick, dip in flour/cornmeal mixture, then egg, then back in the flour. usually put a little salt, pepper and garlic powder in the flour mixture.<br /><br /><br />..Another good one...<br />Make lasagna, substitue egg plant slices instead of Noodles... YUM!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

eggplant parm :) <br />cut off top/bottom, slice into about 3/4 inch slices, <br />egg, flour, fry on high heat and brown both sides.<br />only sear, don't cook fully...<br />in a baking pan, add 1/4" water, then pasta sauce,<br />lay moule' flat, sauce on top, then some provolone,<br />then a little more sauce, then top with good parm.<br />cover with foil and bake in hot 400' oven.<br />(about 15 min for 9x9 pan)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Anything that disguises the flavor and texture and makes it seem to be real food.

LadyFish

Admiral

Baba ghanoush; Baba gannoujh [bah-bah gah-NOOSH]<br /><br />A Middle Eastern puree of eggplant great as a dip with pita bread or crisps, or even raw vegies. A Lebanese lady taught me this.<br /><br />2-medium eggplants<br />2-tbsp tahini (a thick paste made from ground sesame seeds) you can easily purchase at grocery store<br />2-tbsp olive oil<br />2-tbsp lemon juice<br />3-cloves garlic, minced<br />1/2-tsp salt<br />2-tbsp finely chopped parsley (I prefer cilantro)<br />1-green onion, finely chopped<br /><br />***** eggplant all over with fork<br />Grill over medium heat on closed barbecue or broiler, about 6 inches from heat<br />Turn occasionally until soft and charred, about 40 minutes<br />Cool<br />Cut lengthwise and scoop flesh into food processor<br />Add tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt<br />Process until smooth<br />Stir in parsley and green onion<br />Add more salt to taste<br /><br />Makes about 2 cups

Kenneth Brown

Captain

We usually fry it like you would squash. I have also had it prepard as nmedge said as lasagna.

LadyFish

Admiral

This one is a little more complicated but well worth the effort and a favorite of mine.<br /><br />MOUSSAKA-GREEK EGGPLANT (moo-sock-a)<br /><br /> 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil <br /> 1/4 cup pine nuts <br /> 1/2 pound lean ground meat, such as lamb or beef <br /> 1 small onion, grated <br /> 3/4 teaspoon allspice <br /> 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon <br /> 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg <br /> 1/8 teaspoon cloves <br /> 1 teaspoon tomato paste <br /> 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley <br /> 1/2 teaspoon salt <br /> 1/4 teaspoon freshly round black pepper <br /> 12 elongated eggplants, about 4 inches long, or several large ones <br /> 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil <br /> 1 tablespoon olive oil <br /> 1 cup chopped onion <br /> 1 bay leaf <br /> 4 cloves garlic, minced <br /> 2 teaspoons finely minced green chili, or more, to taste <br /> 1 small green bell pepper, minced <br /> 2 teaspoons tomato paste, dissolved in 1/2 cup water <br /> 1/2 teaspoon salt <br /> 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper <br /> 1/2 teaspoon sugar <br /> 1-2 ripe tomatoes, seeded and thinly sliced <br /> 2 tablespoons chopped parsley<br /><br />First make the filling: Brown pine nuts in oil and remove to drain. Add the meat and grated onion and cook to brown. Add 2 tablespoons water and increase the heat to medium and sauté 2 minutes longer. add the spices, tomato paste, parsley, salt and pepper. Allow to cool.. Remove several strips of peel, 1/2 inch wide, from eggplants, lengthwise. Heat the 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat and place in the eggplants. Cover tightly and cook until the flesh is golden brown on all sides and all parts of it are tender, about 12 minutes. Cool on racks. Discard any oil in the pan, and add 1 tablespoon oil, the chopped onion, bay leaf, garlic, chili, and bell pepper. Cook 5 minutes, stirring. Add the tomato paste and water and cook 1 minute longer. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar. Press open each of the eggplants and spread equal amounts of the meat filling into each cavity. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12 inch ovenproof serving dish with the vegetable sauce. Arrange the eggplants on top, with a layer of tomato slices over all. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minute longer. Serve warm with a sprinkling of the chopped parsley.

LadyFish

Admiral

You can also just slice it lengthwise and drizzle it with olive oil, salt and pepper and grill it. Then make a sandwich using a good mayonaise like Hellman's or Blue Plate.

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is a family favorite<br /><br />Slice eggplant about 3/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with salt and put in a strainer and let it drip.<br /><br />Mix 1/2 cup bread crumbs with 1/2 cup grated parmesan. Make an egg wash w/2 eggs and a splash of milk. Dredge the eggplant in seasoned flour, then egg wash and then bread crumb mixture.<br /><br />Fry on medium heat in olive oil until golden. Very tasty.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Sliced (thickness to your preference). Semi sundried -hot sun 2 to 3 days each side, mild sun a week each side. Salted to taste. Dipped in a light batter similar to tepinyaki (sp). pan fry in extra, extra, extra virgin olive oil, got to be the real dark spanish or greek.<br /><br />Trial & error with salt & sun drying. Taste varies greatly.<br /><br />Aldo

FSHKPR

Ensign

I like it sliced about 1/2" think then fried hard in butter with lots of onions garlic and mushrooms. gotta watch the amount you consume for two reasons. egg plant is very high in nicotene, and if you smoke or are trying to quit using the patch it can give you a reaction. I always refrain for a cigarette atleast a half an hour before i eat it and another half an hour after. also gives me some of the worst smelling gas. my wife wont even buy it for me. i have to sneak it. :D

18rabbit

Captain

Thanks to everyone for the recipes. I’ll likely get to try them all since I’m on my own for 3 weeks whiles the better 9/10th is away. I got a lot to choose from…little effort sun dried to a whole day spent just shopping to make the moussaka-greek eggplant. Yes!!! :) <br /><br />Thanks!!! :)

LadyFish

Admiral

It sounds complicated but once you start making it, its not. You will love it.<br /><br />Good Luck! :)