Power Take off, how should it be connected?1963 40hp

KewlBird

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I'm trying to piece up some of the things that are not connected on the boat I just bought. It has a 1963 Johnson 40hp Electramatic outboard. On the wiring diagram It shows a "power take off" on the brown wire, how is this supposed to be connected? I currently don't have that wire connected. As a matter of fact the whole charging system is not even connected. I just purchased the regulator and am in process of replacing the wires. Here's the wiring diagram I found:

http://www.shareaproject.com/fullImages/2627.jpg

If someone has a better diagram please post it or email it to me.

Thanks.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Power Take off, how should it be connected?1963 40hp

On the cover of the junction box there are 2 terminals for accessories, 1 is grounded and the other is insulated the power take off wire goes from the battery lug on the voltage regulator to the insulated terminal they are to the power for lights and etc.

Molaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually, what you have is a pretty thorough diagram. The brown wire shown as the "Power Take Off" is the point where you would connect all your power needs such as lights, depth finder, radio, etc. The wire in question is the same electrical point as the "Gen" terminal on your ampmeter. This is so your typical electrical devices will draw current through the ampmeter to give you a more accurate indication of whether the system is charging or discharging. You don't necessarily need a separate brown wire coming off the fuse as is shown. You can connect your "devices" direct to the "gen" terminal on the ampmeter.

KewlBird

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome, the help is very much appreciated :). The re-wiring process starts tomorrow, well as long as it's not too cold outside (wonderful Michigan weather).