Hell on the high seas

jp4240

Recruit
I recently acquired a 16ft john boat. In a separate transaction i bought a great running 1959 35hp Evinrude model number 35012. My problem is that at full throttle the boat barely goes. Today i was out run by a 6hp Johnson. I think that the motor is to short for the boat. My transom is 21in deep. the motor is 20in long at the shaft. Is it possible to cut the transom so that the cavitation plate is level with the bottom of the boat without causing structural damage to the transom? I really would like to make this motor work with this boat, any help offered would be greatly appreciated.....

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Hell on the high seas

Zero to do with anything but a gummed up carb, cracked coils, etc

I have to edit this..you need to explain a little more on this hight issue

jp4240

Recruit

The motor is in excellent working condition. It was recently rebuilt and restored. the motor is not long enough for the boat. it will not get the boat on plane or push the boat at an acceptable speed.

rogerwa

Commander

How far above the bottom of the hull is the plate??

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class

" My transom is 21in deep. the motor is 20in long at the shaft"
If you measured from the bracket to the propshaft centerline , go back and measure from the bracket to the cavitation plate .
Sounds like you have a 15" leg .

Modifying the transom is certainly doable , but I wouldn't advise such a radical chop and the loss of freeboard .

IMO , ASSUMING that the motor is in fine shape , sell it and get a 20" leg motor .
If you do some searching , you may find someone with the opposite situation and do a trade .

Good luck .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the 59 35 is a 17" from tramsom bracket to the AV plate. it's a wonder the motor has not burnt up, as it can't get enough water to pump. you need to lower 4 inches, as the water pump is high in the motor leg. it will also improve the preformance. assuming the jon boat is aluminum, you can either cut the transom down. or add a jack plate to lower the motor.(usually used to raise the motor), but will make it hard to tilt motor. i have a 58 53hp.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If the 35 is a short shaft 15-17 inches you can lengthen it very simply if you can find the parts or a 20" parts motor.Used to be extension kits were as common as butts everybody had one.You might watch eBay or advertise at aomci.org.

MikDee

Banned

If the 35 is a short shaft 15-17 inches you can lengthen it very simply if you can find the parts or a 20" parts motor.Used to be extension kits were as common as butts everybody had one.You might watch eBay or advertise at aomci.org.

I agree if you can find the parts, I did it myself on my dad's old 40hp evinrude yrs ago. it was a snap to do.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I did our 25 Gale back in 77 when we got our new Crestliner 18ft utility.
By the way the 25 pushed a load in the 18 much better than on the old 15ft
utility.