Depth Finder Question

JJB

Petty Officer 1st Class
I want to buy a New Depth Finder that will be used in south florida waters and wanted to get some real exp info. about the top ones . Furuno , raymarine , garmin and raython . I don't want a combo and I am willing to spend around $700 . user friendly is nice but not a must. Has anyone ever had any exp. with any of there service dept ? Thanks for you input ! JJB

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Depth Finder Question

Friends and acquaintances that boat salt are pretty strong on Furuno.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I want to buy a New Depth Finder that will be used in south florida waters and wanted to get some real exp info. about the top ones . Furuno , raymarine , garmin and raython . I don't want a combo and I am willing to spend around $700 . user friendly is nice but not a must. Has anyone ever had any exp. with any of there service dept ? Thanks for you input ! JJB

I've got a Furuno FCV585 and there is none better. It's pretty hard to beat the Furuno FCV620 in your price range.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I would also tell you Furuno is top of the line for deep salt water none better, but in south Flordia how deep is the water you will be running and fishing in. For shallow salt water I would select a 200kh Lowrance single frequency. Salt water over 200 to 250 feet make sure you get a unit with 500 Watts RMS or 4000 watts PeP or more. If you get out into water over 300 to 350 then go with Furuno.

Furuno is great for deeper water and 80 percent of the party boats and commerical boat use Furuno out here in the west. They will show you lots of fish. They have a bottom lock feature that will make the bottom look completely flat but helps to show fish when in big swells. The only thing I do not like about Furuno and Garmin is the way the bottom jumps when the unit changes scales. The way Lowrance changes scales is much better.

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just bought a Garmin 498 GPS/fishfinder combo and it's been great!
Internal antenna and dual frequency transducer, all for under $500.
You don't have to run the GPS screen, can run the depth finder only, but is nice to have GPS ready if you need it, can also run in split screen mode and run both.