Oil in closed cooled system

foldman

Recruit
i have a 1988 mercruiser 3.7L with a closed cooled or freshwater cooled system, and i have oil in the cooling resevoir. I drained and flushed the entire system then I filled with fresh coolant and noticed i had a few ounces of oil in the coolant resevoir. The oil seems to be fine. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil in closed cooled system

Welcome to iboats......:)
I'm not real familiar with the 470, but.....
Pretty sure that the water pump is driven by the cam on those models & can go bad......
You might try draining & pressure testing the closed side of cooling system......
Again, I'm sure there are some members here that are far more familiar with the 470......;)

foldman

Recruit

I have been told over the phone that this problem after the oil leaking into the cooling tank could be caused by a blown head gasket. The leak is not to severe so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas about adding a stop leak to the oil or a radiator stop leak to the cooling system or possibly both. Any ideas or advice would be superb

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I have been told over the phone that this problem after the oil leaking into the cooling tank could be caused by a blown head gasket. The leak is not to severe so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas about adding a stop leak to the oil or a radiator stop leak to the cooling system or possibly both. Any ideas or advice would be superb

No & no.......
You really need to pressure test your cooling system to find the leak......;)