Rapido shakedown

erikgreen

Captain
Okay, I finally got my 21 foot Sea Ray out to the lake for a trial... and had a good time :)

For those who managed to miss my 100 posts about it, I had bought a 21 foot Sea Ray last july with a cracked 305 block. I then had a car accident in it on the way home from the lake the first time.

Since then I've been repairing and rebuilding. I got a 350 1982-ish model long block from Rapido Marine, and put it in with the intake and manifold from the 305. I managed to get replacement parts for the gimbal and transom kit, parts of which had snapped off in the accident.

Today I took it to the lake (Minnetonka, what a zoo) for a couple hours. I ran it at about 3000 rpm for most of the time, and toward the end of the day we brought it up to WOT. Results as follows:

WOT RPM: 4000
Prop: 14.5 x 17
Speed: No gps, but other boat estimated 35-ish mph
Planed at about 2200rpm, we cruised around at 2700-3000 most of the time.

Problems: Slight shipping of water at the gimbal - suspect hole or leak in the bellows somewhere. Maybe a total of a gallon per 15 minutes, and only at displacement... no leak at planing speed.

Trailer brakes did not work, and we had to debug the lights before we went anywhere (I rebuilt the trailer too). My friend's brake controller, which works for his 30 footer, displayed a "0.6" for how hard it was braking... for his 30 footer it usually displays 4-5. I need to check the wiring and adjust the pads at the very least.

Trailer rollers (also new) need adjustment for clearance.

Drop axles on the trailer now mean I have about 4 inches of ground clearance... lower than I'd like, but I'd need to rebuild a big part of the trailer to get more. Maybe I need a new trailer instead...

I probably need to check the accuracy of the tach too, but my priority will likely be the bellows. I'm not sure how much more time I have this year before I need to winterize, but I'll see what I can get done time and money permitting.

All in all I'm quite happy with the Rapido Marine engine so far, and I'd recommend them to anyone here.

Erik

wire2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Rapido shakedown

Drop axles on the trailer now mean I have about 4 inches of ground clearance... lower than I'd like, but I'd need to rebuild a big part of the trailer to get more. Maybe I need a new trailer instead...
Erik
What size wheels & tires, Erik? Can go bigger for more clearance, cheaper than new trailer.

erikgreen

Captain

205/75R14... and come to think of it I do have about 4 inches of clearance between my fenders and the tops of my tires... it just came out that way.

Are there tires that big out there?

Erik

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Erik
If you want to discuss trailers, post your problems/questions/concernes over on the Trailers and Towing Forum
Lets try to keep this forum for IO Questions and answers as much as possible.

qystan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Erik,

Good job, glad you decided changed out the block early, took me much longer and after much more money to realised changing old blocks was the wise way to go.

You'll want to fix the bellow leak asap.

Either that or at the least remove the drive to drain the water from the bellow area while you wait. With water in the bellow, the drive will have water in the oil.

qystan

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Erik,

Good job, glad you decided changed out the block early, took me much longer and after much more money to realised changing old blocks was the wise way to go.

You'll want to fix the bellow leak asap.

Either that or at the least remove the drive to drain the water from the bellow area while you wait. With water in the bellow, the drive will have water in the oil.

qystan
Yup, pull that drive & get the ujoints & gimbal bearing dry asap.....;)

erikgreen

Captain

I got the lower unit off, there was a moderate amount of water in the UJoint bellows. I'm going to look for the hole just for kicks, but I need to replace the bellows. More fun :)

At least it didn't rust.

Erik

Don S

Make sure that big quad ring (a in the drawing below) was where it should be and not cut, broken, or even reused. It will let water into the bellows just as easy as a hole in the bellows

Alphabellhousing.jpg

erikgreen

Captain

That's the big ring around the ujoint housing, right (looks like your diagram didn't post)? It was out of place once before so now I hold it in with a little bellows adhesive. When I pulled the drive out it was still more or less in place, so I'm guessing that wasn't it.

I'm gonna check the bellows for a hole... still haven't had a chance to do so.

Erik

Don S

That's the big ring around the ujoint housing, right (looks like your diagram didn't post)?

Yep, forgot to post the link to the picture. It's in there now.
If your bellows is more than 4 or 5 years old, it's due for replacement anyway.