Reverse Lock out question

winger

Recruit
I'm upgrading my 1973 Cobalt with a 888 setup to the following.
Alpha 0ne 1980's Gimbal housing assembly with side mounted sender and limit switch.
I want to replace the trim pump and cylinders. My 888 has a reverse lock out/trim sender switch mounted on the inner transom plate. I've read that the new trim pumps have this feature built into them. How is this activated. I can't find any description on the web. I figured it would have to be a micro-switch to lock the reverse portion of the pump to prevent the outdrive from rising when in reverse conditions. Can any one shed some light on this subject?

Regards and thanks in advance.
Mike

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Reverse Lock out question

Mike, The "reverse lock" is hydraulic, and built into the pump. It likely is the same as the "trim lock" that is employed to have the outdrive hold a trim setting in forward. Are you sure your motor has an electrical reverse lock switch?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....... He's replacing an old Mod.1......

The Alpha you're bolting in is a Much Simplier set up,.....
No need for all that junk bolted to your transom,.....
The Reverse Lock is accomplished with it's Hyd. Valving,..... No Electricty Required......

winger

Recruit

I understand that the valving is internal, but; how does the trim pump know that it is in reverse and not just allowing the outdrive to float up like it does in forward gear when striking a under water object?

Regards,
Mike

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Pretty sure it onlt kept the drive locked for reverse not for hitting something.
Havent seen any alphas lift from a strike either, they have been known to be completely ripped off a tramsom from a very , very hard strike

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The hyd system has whats called a relief valve. It holds hyd pressure at whatever point you choose to stop the oil, or mechanically the drives position. It will break over it's setting and allow the drive to raise on a sudden hard impact (don't ask me how I know). If the transom or drive gets sheared off from impact there was a problem with this valve. Not sure of the pressure setting, but I'm sure it is in the manual. Normally the spring in the valve can go weak resulting in the drive falling over time when in the full up position or it won't hold a trim setting.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I understand that the valving is internal, but; how does the trim pump know that it is in reverse and not just allowing the outdrive to float up like it does in forward gear when striking a under water object?

The NEW pump holds the drive in any position that you stop it in, up or down.
The trim CYLINDERS have the bypass springs and check ball system in it that will (Should) bypass the fluid to the opposite side of the cylinder during impact.
The pump does nothing for impact protection. Neither the old or the new one.

winger

Recruit

Thanks, to everyone who responded. Since I'm replacing the trim cylinders I'll be covered. It makes perfect sense once the trim cylinder operation was explained.

Please close this thread.

Regards
Mike

MikDee

Banned

Just a silly question why are you putting a 302" Ford in your boat, when a 305", or 350" Chevy Mercruiser has more power?

winger

Recruit

It came new from the factory in 73 with a 302. Im just updating the transom assy and hydraulics to an alpha one because many of the 888 parts are not available ie. trim limit switch.

Regards
Mike