Mercruiser TKS vs Traditional Carby

EasyC

Recruit
Hi All,

In the market for a new boat. Looking at what my budget can afford. My friends are telling me to stay clear of Carb engines due to the problems they have had over the past ten years. I am looking at a few boats with the Mercruiser engine (Towsports) which has TKS. Why should I consider this in todays realm of technology, as I have seen my friends suffer so much in the past. I am not technically minded and dont want any hassles, but cant afford the step up to the black scorpion range. Why is TKS good and how can I convince myself and them that it is ok to buy. Thanks. All I know is what I have read in the brochure about it. I need to know more.......:confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser TKS vs Traditional Carby

TKS (Turn Key Start) is nothing more than a primer system similar to what is used on carbed outboards for starting purposes. The rest of the carb is the same. Just a lot of extra stuff to go wrong. instead of just the automatic choke.
Not sure what problems with carbs in the last 10 years, that your friends have been having, but basically the only problems carbs have is dirt and water. Keep clean fuel in them and they work fine for many, many years.
If your friends don't like it, have them GIVE you the money for an EFI upgrade.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Don't like adjusting and maintaining a carb, then go MPI. No need to go to a Black Scorpion.

PS: TKS is just for people who don't what to pump the throttle per carb starting requirements.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

easyc said:
My friends are telling me to stay clear of Carb engines due to the problems they have had over the past ten years

hmmm.... carb engines don't have problems... people have problems remembering to change filters.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

For the money, I'd stick with the carb. For the most part, people who complain about problems with carbs, just don't understand how they work, and how to use them. Once, setup properly, there is very little to adjust. What you have to remember is that they end to be cold natured, but it should not create any problems. As an example, mine requires two full strokes of the throttle, then push the handle forward just past where the resistance starts, hit the key. Engine fires up, hits about 1800RPM or so, I back it down about 1100RPM, wait 15-20 seconds and pull the handle back to neutral position. The engine idles smoothly while we finish stowing everything.

When you decide later, that you want more power, it will be easier and a whole lot cheaper on the carbed engine. There just isn't much out there for the EFI engines.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would not knock a carbed engine until you have owned one. Mine has been very reliable once I got it dialed in and cleaned. Sure it is not as smooth or as consistent as EFI but it is very easy to work on compared to an EFI motor. I know if I have a problem out in the middle of a lake that I can tinker with it enough to get it going or limp me back. An EFI is a lot less forgiving when it has problems. Not saying that the EFI motors are not reliable but when something goes wrong, which it will, I will take the devil I know any day. its not like a car were I can get out and walk.

chaparral442

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the money, I'd stick with the carb. For the most part, people who complain about problems with carbs, just don't understand how they work, and how to use them. Once, setup properly, there is very little to adjust. What you have to remember is that they end to be cold natured, but it should not create any problems. As an example, mine requires two full strokes of the throttle, then push the handle forward just past where the resistance starts, hit the key. Engine fires up, hits about 1800RPM or so, I back it down about 1100RPM, wait 15-20 seconds and pull the handle back to neutral position. The engine idles smoothly while we finish stowing everything.

When you decide later, that you want more power, it will be easier and a whole lot cheaper on the carbed engine. There just isn't much out there for the EFI engines.

so how do you get more power out of the carbed engine??

John_S

Rear Admiral

All the current Merc carbed engines are only 2brl carbs. A new 4brl Intake/carb, will get most of the MPI HP. ie if you purchased a 5.7L 2brl, it will be 250HP at prop. A few or more years down the road you could upgrade, and get about 280HP at the prop.

chaparral442

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the 4.3L Carb- where can you purchase the carb/manifold and how much of an investment?

How much additional HP will the upgrade provide?

John_S

Rear Admiral

Chap442,

I think there are a few threads on this already. Try a search, if you don't find the info, post a new thread, with details of year and engine type.

In general, the bang for buck on the V6 is less than the sb8. Cost is about the same ($500-600), but hp increase is only in the 15-20hp range.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Hey chap, definately need to start a new thread, there are way to many variables here, but the short answer is you can get up to about 250hp.