Hunting Rifle

Pony

Rear Admiral
I just bought my first Rifle of my very own.....no more using my uncles!

I am quite excited.

I just purchased a Browning .30-06 with the BOSS. Hunter Series, A-Bolt II.

Anyone have expirience with this gun? did I make a good choice?

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hunting Rifle

I don't know much more than that rifle and caliber have an excellent reputation and should do you a fine job for as long as you need it to. Chief Chief

aspeck

Staff member

It should be a good "all around" gun for you. The important thing is how does it feel to YOU. If it feels good in your hands, doesn't beat you up when you fire it, and comes up easily and smoothly, you should be in good shape. The gun itself should fire consistent groupings, so it will up to your loads and shooting ability to get the job done.

Congrats on your first gun! But be warned ... it could be the start of a nasty obsession. I see even more in your future!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

When you see the ammo on sale BUY IT because the prices have been rising and rising and rising.... but do not buy the imported surplus ammo.... It does not have the accuracy or consistantcy...... could be because the quality control stinks.

The Browning A Bolt is a great rifle. Before you put "cheap" optics on it stay with iron sights until you save up more money. Cheap optics will let you down.......

Now get out there and practice! Got any nephews? I bet they will ask to borrow your rifle in the future! :)

i386

Captain

Nice rifle. That caliber is pretty versatile too. Did it come with a big Browning logo decal for the rear window of your truck? If those stickers were any indication of ownership I'd say most of the people in my town with trucks own a Browning. :D

Bob_VT

Staff member

Nice rifle. That caliber is pretty versatile too. Did it come with a big Browning logo decal for the rear window of your truck? If those stickers were any indication of ownership I'd say most of the people in my town with trucks own a Browning. :D

The Browning Boss A Bolt comes with a free truck!!! You had it backwards! :D

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

You can't go wrong with a Browning. I have several Browning Firearms, and they are some of the best. Especially on those cold winter days walking through the woods in 2 feet of snow looking for Elk. You'll appreciate the dependability.

xtrema2

Cadet

As my other kentucky friend said, you cant go wrong with a browning rifle. Now shotguns, I'd have to say that you can beat the famous beretta xtrema2

JRJ

Commander

Good choice for a rifle. A Leupold scope will look really good on it. Have fun.

puddle jumper

Captain

30 06 is a great caliper to work with because you can get ammo just a bout everywhere and if im right you can go from 150 grain to 180 grain. The lower caliper bullets work like a dream but what Ive found with the larger grain the shell can stick in the chamber after a couple of fast shots. What are you hunting for?

Pony

Rear Admiral

30 06 is a great caliper to work with because you can get ammo just a bout everywhere and if im right you can go from 150 grain to 180 grain. The lower caliper bullets work like a dream but what Ive found with the larger grain the shell can stick in the chamber after a couple of fast shots. What are you hunting for?

I am hunting for whitetail.

I have a bushnell 3x9 on it.

I have been shooting 180 grain. So far shoots really well. Going up to the Deer trailer next weekendd to do some sighting in and getting the stand ready

puddle jumper

Captain

Pony for whitetail i would go for a lower grain bullet like a 150 or 160 grain.
180 grain can be used on deer but is overkill. 180 grain is used for Moose,
Elk,Bear. Good luck on your hunting trip.

LubeDude

Admiral

^
^
^
^
^
^
^
Yea that!!! :)

Not a better all around caliber on earth!! IMHO

Bob_VT

Staff member

The weight and design of the bullet is important to where you hunt. A 180 gr round nose has better brush busting capapbility than the 150 gr which could deflect slightly.

If you are comfortable with the 180 and it shoots okay then stay with it. No real need to experiment this close to deer season.

I have hunted deer with many varied calibers and I make my decision on where I hunt for bullet weight. Typically in thick brush where a 150-200 yard shot is the maximun and 75 ydrs is normal I stay with my 45-70. If I am sitting overlooking a larger area then my 30-06 is put to work.

Practice with the round you intend to hunt with...... place 9" paper plates out at various (random distances), set the scope at "mid power" about 4- 1/2 and shoot at the plates. Take the shots from a position you will be in such as standing or sitting and take them fairly quick. Trust me..... you will only have a split second on a trophy.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I agree that 180 grain is overkill.......but the way my stand is set up, I over look a large chunck of space that is pretty brushy. The other side is wide open.

Part of the thing is that I have the BOSS dialed in at 180 grains.

Plus the people who have hunted this property for years use 180 grain........he knows what he is doing, and that is what he suggested before he passed away.

Another reason is.....that is the bullet weight my uncle shoots.....so if I run out I am still dialed in if I use his ammo.

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

Good choice in rifles! My FIL has one in .300 win mag, and the boss system is great for getting the best accuracy in factory ammo. A word of warning though.....they are LOUD!!!! The first time my FIL fired his while hunting he was under tree cover and the muzzle blast was so loud and painfull he almost dropped the rifle! Get yourself a NON-ported boss to use while hunting. They thread off and on easily and you can keep the tuning benifits without the noise. Good luck and happy hunting!

puddle jumper

Captain

Pony i have to agree with you if you have what the locals say works use it.
The nice thing about using a larger caliber bullet is when you hit the animal
you have a better chance of a one shot kill. That is in my books more important than anything. I dont know if you get this Magazine down there
"Outdoor Canada Hunting" but it has an excellent article on the kill zones of deer and other popular animals. Just what ive found out with lager grains of bullets is you can get to much meat loss in smaller animals.
Let us know how you do. My self ive done so much hunting that i can take it or leave it. Now when it comes to salt water fishing that's a completely different story. Just love it.